Old 02-01-2006, 06:20 AM posted to aus.gardens
RockyRoad

Default Mint - what kind is it?

When I buy "mint" seeds from the local nursery or Big W, what exactly
is it? is it Peppermint? Spearmint?

Can you get Peppermint or Spearmint seeds?

--
Rocky Road - in Oz
Old 02-01-2006, 11:01 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
RockyRoad wrote:

When I buy "mint" seeds from the local nursery or Big W, what exactly
is it? is it Peppermint? Spearmint?

It's Curly-Leafed Spearmint (Mentha spicata), but most of us just call it
Common Mint. Spearmint has a slightly sweeter flavour and the leaves don't
curl. The leaves are, of course, shaped like the head of a spear. Peppermint
is Mentha piperita.

Can you get Peppermint or Spearmint seeds?

Probably, but it's a lot easier and faster to propagate by cutting/root
division.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:15 PM posted to aus.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"RockyRoad" wrote in message
When I buy "mint" seeds from the local nursery or Big W, what exactly
is it? is it Peppermint? Spearmint?

My crystal ball is rather cloudy due to holiday season indulgence, so
forgive me if I cannot picture the packet that you have seen. Even if I
could it might not help much as there are 100s of kinds of mint that happily
hybridise with each other so exactly what you have (or I have) is very hard
to say. Naming of herbs and vegetables is very hit and miss, it varies with
geography, culture, family tradition and commercial marketng bull.

Rather than going by names, that may be very misleading, I would judge by
looks and smell. If I want some mint for cooking I will go for a short dark
green leaf with reddish stems that smells right. The pale long-bladed leaf
often found in supermarkets (about here) is inferior IMO.

I know this doesn't help with a packet of seeds. I suggest that you grow it
and see if you like it for whatever purpose you have in mind. Better still
go to some nurseries (or neighbours) and feel and sniff their mint, and buy
the one you like regardless of what they call it.

Can you get Peppermint or Spearmint seeds?

Quite possibly but I don't know how this helps you, you are relying on
whoever named it to use the same definition that you have. Stick to the
smell test.

David

Doug's mint - dougs-mint.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 06-08-2007 05:44 PM
Distilling Mint Nicholas Gardening 4 18-04-2003 04:44 PM
LINK-INDIA: Menthol mint... Frederick Noronha \(FN\) sci.agriculture 1 17-04-2003 12:56 AM
Purchasing Mint for garden. Texas Garden Edible Gardening 2 17-03-2003 11:56 PM
Penny Royal Mint dying off Michael Singmin Gardening 0 21-02-2003 08:27 AM