Old 05-01-2006, 10:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default worms died

I 'had' a fantastical healthy household worm farm in Sydney. Went away
for christmas, I got back on that hot hot New Years Day, and watered my
worms. They had water but i thought they might be hot. And gave them
some mouldy mushrooms. They were all on the second shelf, with a lot
of movement. The next day.... all dead! Disintergrated......!!!!!
Very very sad! What happened? Can anyone help on this one?
Thanks, Gab

Old 06-01-2006, 02:27 AM posted to aus.gardens
SyrianPrince

Hi gaberry and David
too sad about your worms....
Hot weather is the killer sadly, in real life a worm will burrow deeper to
remain cool, but in the cans or farms they can only go so deep, and when
it's as hot as it can occasionally get, then they die. I have found that
putting the can or worm farm in a shady or cool spot is a good idea. I also
give them a shower or drink periodically through the day and check on them
as much as I can. Even when they collect together in a big lump they can get
too warm from bodyheat I guess and die. It seems like this is what happened
to yours I am sorry to say.
I have had the same farm going in Sydney and Melbourne for a number of years
now and this is they way we cope with the very hot days. We had 43 degrees
or so in NE Vic last week and the method worked ok.
I also have permanently removed the tap from the bottom to allow some
airflow and remove the heat build up. Worm sauna kills them too.......
I have had large balls of worms leave the can by the open tap hole and end
up in the bucket on hot days to escape the heat, but then they drown in the
liquid there, so keeping them cool with lots of drinks in the shade is your
best option. Maintaining three layers is also good so they can go deeper. If
you don't have three full layers built up yet you can create one with one of
those compressed coco peat bricks, it's better than nothing.
Cheers
SyrianPrince

oups.com...

Old 06-01-2006, 02:55 AM posted to aus.gardens
David

Ours were in a cool place that received no direct sunlight.

I think I might try the rotating compost drum this time. We did not get
much output from the worm farm.

SyrianPrince wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

--

Kind Regards

David Huisman
General Manager
ORBIT COMMUNICATIONS Pty Ltd - Wireless Solutions that Work
(Telemetry, Control, Monitoring, Security, HVAC ...)
A.C.N. 107 441 869

Website : http://www.orbitcoms.com
PO Box 4474 Lakehaven
NSW 2263, AUSTRALIA
Phone: 61-2-4393-3627
Fax : 61-2-4393-3685
Mobile: 61-413-715-986
Old 07-01-2006, 10:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
Gary Smith

Maybe you steamed them. we had about 40 deg here in southwest vic not long
ago and i didnt put ANY water in mine and theyre still alive AND they were
partially in the sun.

oups.com...

Old 10-01-2006, 12:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

David wrote:
If the buggers are so close to you, bring em inside into the airconditioned
house??
lushy
"-db-" wrote in message

I 'had' a fantastical healthy household worm farm in Sydney. Went away
for christmas, I got back on that hot hot New Years Day, and watered my
worms. They had water but i thought they might be hot. And gave them
some mouldy mushrooms. They were all on the second shelf, with a lot
of movement. The next day.... all dead! Disintergrated......!!!!!
Very very sad! What happened? Can anyone help on this one?
Thanks, Gab

We've had similar things happen to our worms. We have our worm farm in
the shade plus shade cloth over the top. Watering can help. We also have
just potting mix in the bottom tray in the hope that they can escape in
those horrid 40+ days.

Derek

Why not park em in the shade. Get some of that very thin hobby plastic
tubing, like we used to use in the sixties, and drip water through that
over the wet hessian? That will keep it going for days.