Old 06-01-2006, 08:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Pruning kangaroo paws

Hello all,
Does anyone know the best time to prune kangaroo paws? I have 2
Red/Green KPs in my garden and am in the process getting 2 yellow KPs
this weekend. I understand that they can be pruned hard by cutting off
at the base of the stem but not sure when I should be doing this. I'm
from suburbian Perth, Western Australia.

Also I have a number of ficus plants which I'm planning to get rid of
and replace them with native plants. The garden area is along the
colorbond fence line and it is in full sun for most of the day (fence
line is west to east). Any plant suggestions? I liked to have waratahs
but hear they are hard to grow in WA.

Also anyone has success with Proteas? I know they're not native but my
wife is South African and she would appreciate something from her
native country.

Apologies for the number of questions but I'm a complete novice when it
comes to gardening - my first home and garden!

Cheers,
hugoti

Old 08-01-2006, 08:29 AM posted to aus.gardens
The Lady Gardener

Your Kangaroo Paws can be pruned off to about 30cms, no harm will come to
them. Don't fertilize the red and green or the green and black, but the
yellow ones will take a small amount of sheep manure, but not chemical
fertilizer or chicken products.

I've never seen a Waratah grow in WA, but there are many Banksias to choose
from, Proteas will do just fine in the area you're talking about, but their
growth habit is a bit untidy, and the reflected heat from the fence will
burn the leaves, though that won't kill them, it will make them look tatty.
If you choose a Protea or a Banksia do plenty of research first, make sure
you get a size and shape plant that is appropriate to the area. A
callistemon is another option.

Good move to get rid of the ficus!

Almost anything you plant will be a bit devastated by yesterday's heat!

Joanne (also in Perth)

oups.com...