Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Roger Van Loon

Default Who knows this tree?

Hello all,

I'm in Europe (Belgium).
In November 2002, friends of mine made a trip to Australia (mainly the
Eastern part). Here's a picture of a tree that they saw in flower in
many places, and they say it was called a "Potania" everywhe
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.lo.../australia.jpg
(Sorry, no close up of the flower is available.)
I wonder what it could be. The name sounds like "Photinia" - but those
have white flowers, don't they?
Could it be some Erythrina?
Thanks in advance,
Roger.
--

You're welcome to visit my gardening page:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.loon/gardenp.htm
Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Victor Hawthorne

Roger:

Definitely an Erythrina. Several species are widely grown in
Australia.

I can't help you with the name "Potania".

Richard

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Wallaby Walker

Roger my best bet would be your right in saying it is a Erythrina; most
likely E. x sykesii (syn E. indica)
Aussies call it the Indian Coral Tree
Cheers Peter.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
dave

Hi,

I could swear blind that it is a poinciana. Is there something wrong with
me???

David
Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Barbara

"dave" wrote in message

Hi,

I could swear blind that it is a poinciana. Is there something wrong
with me???

phew! I thought it was just me, I thought so too.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Victor Hawthorne

No, nothing wrong with you David! On reflection I think poinciana is a
better bet than erythrina.

'Potania' also makes better sense as a corruption of poinciana.

Roger could ask his friend whether the leaves were feathery (in which
case poinciana = Delonix regia) or more entire and chunky (in which
case a species of Erythrina).

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Roger Van Loon

Roger Van Loon wrote:

Hello all,

I'm in Europe (Belgium).
In November 2002, friends of mine made a trip to Australia (mainly the
Eastern part). Here's a picture of a tree that they saw in flower in
many places, and they say it was called a "Potania" everywhe
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.lo.../australia.jpg
(Sorry, no close up of the flower is available.)
I wonder what it could be. The name sounds like "Photinia" - but those
have white flowers, don't they?
Could it be some Erythrina?
Thanks in advance,
Roger.

--
Walk tall, walk straight, and look the world right into the eye.

You're welcome to visit my gardening page:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.loon/gardenp.htm

Thanks, all.
The Poinciana (Delonix regia) - yes, I never thought of that, I saw it
a few times on the island of Tenerife, but I did not realise it could
become so very big.
Nevertheless - I will ask my friend about the leaves, and about
eventual old seed pods hanging down (that should be a clue too, I
think.)
Regards,
Roger.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Roger Van Loon

Heather Edwards wrote:

This looks like a Coral Flame Tree or a Tree Waratah. Hope this helps.
Heather.

Thanks, Heather.
Tree Waratah - I didn't know it, but I did look it up with Google.
Alloxylon flammeum.
But according to the image that I posted, "my tree" seems to flower
before (most of) the leaves appear. And the images of Alloxylon
flammeum that I found on the Web all show lots of leaves with the
flowers. Doesn't that rule it out?
So I think the most probable bet is still the Delonix, or (just maybe)
the Erythrina.
Regards,
Roger.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM