Old 08-04-2003, 08:56 AM
matilda

Default anybody knows this PEST ???

Today after watering I decided to have a closer look at a couple of my
plants (orchids). When I removed pots from the saucers I discovered that
saucers are full of tiny very hardly visible bugs.
These bugs are at most 1mm long (less than 1/16 inch) and I believe I
saw only a couple of 1mm size, most of them vere even smaler. They have
shiny silver color. I would describe them as tiny, slender insects more
than twice as long as wide, wings folded flat on back. Didn't see any
hairs. They don't jump or at least didn't try to when I was disturbing
them. Run around the saucer very fast.
Also I don't see any signs of their presence on the leafs or on the
surface of the pot.

Please help as I never struggled with bugs before.

Old 08-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Diana Kulaga

The thrips I've seen were black (have gotten them a couple of times on
orchids, but mainly on gardenia bushes), and I needed my reading glasses to
see them.

It's hard to be definitive, but it sounds to me like the kind of
"decomposers" that run like crazy when you de-pot a plant that's overdue for
new medium. They almost look like lice. What are the plants in (what kind
of material)? Are they due for a change?

Diana

Old 09-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Cardigan

Could they be moss flies?

Sarah

Take off the sweater to reply.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:09 AM
MeMyselfAndI

Buy a venus fly trap. Put it next to your orchids. Problem solved.
ps. you shouldn't have water sitting in your saucers. And if the
saucers are clay, they may look dry when they're not.

Old 09-04-2003, 06:32 AM
matilda

Diana Kulaga wrote:
The thrips I've seen were black (have gotten them a couple of times on
orchids, but mainly on gardenia bushes), and I needed my reading glasses to
see them.

Mine are silver for sure. It's hard to see them as well. Even with
magnifying glass I wasn't able to see the details very well.

It's hard to be definitive, but it sounds to me like the kind of
"decomposers" that run like crazy when you de-pot a plant that's overdue for
new medium. They almost look like lice. What are the plants in (what kind
of material)?

Plants are Phalaenopsis. The medium was recently changed. Didn't see
them before that or just didn't notice.

Are they due for a change?

I would say no.

Diana

Old 09-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 07:26:23 GMT, matilda wrote:

Today after watering I decided to have a closer look at a couple of my
plants (orchids). When I removed pots from the saucers I discovered that
saucers are full of tiny very hardly visible bugs.
These bugs are at most 1mm long (less than 1/16 inch) and I believe I
saw only a couple of 1mm size, most of them vere even smaler. They have
shiny silver color. I would describe them as tiny, slender insects more
than twice as long as wide, wings folded flat on back. Didn't see any
hairs. They don't jump or at least didn't try to when I was disturbing
them. Run around the saucer very fast.
Also I don't see any signs of their presence on the leafs or on the
surface of the pot.

Please help as I never struggled with bugs before.

They sound like they could be springtails.

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu:8050/course...mbolan_jpg.htm