Old 05-04-2006, 11:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Stadelmaier

Default What would you plant?

Help please...
We would like to plant some trees to create shade for a shed, no larger than 5-6m.
However, we would like them to be in-keeping with the surrounding native bush & we would
prefer to have something that is deciduous or at least semi-deciduous, which I'm pretty
sure there is barely no such thing as far as natives go, in the height required anyway.
The soil is quite sandy, north-west facing on a gentle slope. We are in a very high fire
danger area (Hawkesbury area), so have to think of avoiding trees with flaky bark/high oil
content etc. I also don't want to introduce anything that could become a weed problem.
Flowering/bird attracting is not a requirement, although most natives probably are.
I'm thinking I may need to plant a couple of species & thin out or cut-back before winter
to get the effect required, if this is possible?
I am totally lost on this one. I don't get much of a chance to go to the Forestry, so
thought I'd start here.

TIA

--
Trish Stadelmaier
Equinox Audio

(remove SPAMTRAP to reply via email)
Sydney Australia
Old 13-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Registered User

Location: Pacific Palms, NSW, Australia, 3.5 hours drive north of Sydney
Smile

Hi Trish

The only deciduous tree indigenous to the Sydney region,
that sheds its leaves in winter, is Melia azedarach var. australasica, White Cedar.

For more information, go to www.ilda.com.au Plants Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Stadelmaier
Help please...
We would like to plant some trees to create shade for a shed, no larger than 5-6m.
However, we would like them to be in-keeping with the surrounding native bush . . . something deciduous . . .
TIA