Old 10-07-2006, 07:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
Claude

Default Pergola

I want to build a pergola to support a grape vine over the deck. I need to
span 6 metres and am thinking the only practical way to do this is to use
some form of parallel wires (eg tensioned stainless steel like they use on
yachts) set out at say 500mm centres. I'm wondering if anyone would have an
idea if this would work or whether the weight of a fully grown vine would
eventually lead to sagging wires?

Old 10-07-2006, 09:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Claude wrote:
I want to build a pergola to support a grape vine over the deck. I need to
span 6 metres and am thinking the only practical way to do this is to use
some form of parallel wires (eg tensioned stainless steel like they use on
yachts) set out at say 500mm centres. I'm wondering if anyone would have an
idea if this would work or whether the weight of a fully grown vine would
eventually lead to sagging wires?

Depending on thickness of cable, and the tensioning technique it should
hold the weight OK.
Look at other pergolas in your area. You may find, if youre building the
frame out of wood, that you would have to make sure the tension is
retained at both ends...without anything collapsing. So reinforcement to
carry the weight would also be an issue.
A metal frame sounds like it would work...
Sagging wires would be the least of my problem. They would get covered
by the vine anyway...
Old 10-07-2006, 09:32 PM posted to aus.gardens
David

Jonno wrote:
Claude wrote:
[...]

Use heavey fencing wire attached to turn buckles then they can be adjusted
if they do sag - their pretty cheap at bunnings
Lushy

Old 11-07-2006, 09:13 AM posted to aus.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"Claude" wrote in message
I want to build a pergola to support a grape vine over the deck. I need

span 6 metres and am thinking the only practical way to do this is to use
some form of parallel wires (eg tensioned stainless steel like they use on
yachts) set out at say 500mm centres. I'm wondering if anyone would have

an
idea if this would work or whether the weight of a fully grown vine would
eventually lead to sagging wires?

Using tensioned wire may work but a warning, if the structure begins to age
or is hit by a strong wind and starts to distort the tension in the wires
may become destructive where, if you had used timber members instead, they
would provide extra support and stiffness. If you mean span 6 m of wire
only, ie no intermediate support other than the wire, then I would be very
careful indeed.

See "The Australian Decks & Pergolas Manual" by Staines, it's about $30 and
well worth the price for practical, sound advice. He gives details of
overall design, the sizes and spacing of timber, strength of footings, the
lot.

David

Old 21-07-2006, 01:31 PM posted to aus.gardens
China

G'day Claude,

What is your priority here, covering the pergola you wish to
build or growing a grape vine? I'm not having a shot here, it's just I'm
more interested in the choice of grape, rather than how it's held upright.
If you are going to use this vine to produce fruit or leaf, you are going to
be cutting back the bulk of each years growth every winter, thus reducing
the stress on any supports. With the years, the 'trunk' of the vine will
become self supporting, grapes live for eons and I'm told that some wine
makers prefer old vines for quality if not quantity.
If you want privacy from this vine then please consider that
it will be bare for five or so months of the year, and the rest of the
year, the birds will be 'you know whating' all over your deck while they
argue about which flock will eat your grapes and leave droppings all over
your car.

Build the pergola you want, then choose your plants, if you
really want grapes, then I advise you not to plant it near your back door.
There are a number of ornamental grapes, chosen for their leaf colour and
they don't fruit, but they are still deciduous.

China
Wingham
NSW

cost of installing pergola or shade structure for patio Lil Gardening 8 04-06-2003 12:56 PM
Pergola flat top or slanted BS Lawns 0 09-05-2003 07:08 AM
Pergola success! cross United Kingdom 3 27-04-2003 08:32 PM
o/t Pergola - advice please janet.bennett United Kingdom 15 05-04-2003 09:56 AM
Pergola ideas Peter and Susan Australia 9 05-04-2003 06:35 AM