Old 22-07-2006, 05:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
Norman

Default Washing Soda

I have purchased some Copper Sulphate powder to miake up my own bordeaux
mixture, but am not able to buy washing soda anywhere at the supermarket.

Can anyone help me with info on what I should buy to use.
thanks.

Old 22-07-2006, 05:29 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Norman wrote:
I have purchased some Copper Sulphate powder to miake up my own bordeaux
mixture, but am not able to buy washing soda anywhere at the supermarket.

Can anyone help me with info on what I should buy to use.
thanks.

From peter cundalls page
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1631445.htm

Bordeaux Mixtu

1 Dissolve 100 gram of builders’ (hydrated) lime in half a standard
(plastic) bucket of water. (About 5 litres).
2 Dissolve 100 grams copper sulphate (available at garden centres) in a
separate half bucket of water.
3 Keeping the lime mixture agitated to prevent settling, pour it
steadily into the half bucket of dissolved copper sulphate.
4 If necessary add enough extra water to make up a total of 10 litres.
This is Bordeaux mixture. It is at its most effective strength when
freshly mixed so must be used immediately or within a couple of days.
5 It is sprayed to completely cover the main (bare) branches of peach,
nectarine and other stone fruit trees to help control leaf curl and
brown rot disease. It is also sprayed over raspberry canes in late July
for control of raspberry rust.

Bordeaux mixture colours the sprayed plants blue. The spray can
withstand light rain. However a disadvantage with this mixture is that
it tends to quickly settle so must be constantly agitated during
spraying operations. The lime content also tends to easily block the
fine nozzles of sprayers.

Burgundy Mixtu

This is virtually the same except that lime is replaced by washing soda
(cheaply available at supermarkets in 1kg packets as a water softener).

The amounts are the same, as is the method of mixing. Always use
non-metal buckets – standard 10 litre plastic buckets are ideal. If the
water is slightly warm the washing soda and the copper sulphate dissolve
more rapidly.

Slowly pour half a bucket of (100 grams) dissolved washing soda into
half a bucket of (100 grams) dissolved copper sulphate and add more
water if necessary to make up 10 litres.

The advantage of Burgundy mixture is that it does not block sprayer
nozzles. It is also a little stronger and must never be used on plants
in leaf.

(DISCLAIMER: BORDEAUX AND BURGUNDY MIXTURES HAVE BEEN SAFELY USED FOR
MANY YEARS. THESE RECIPES AND THE WAY THEY ARE MIXED AND USED ARE
SUGGESTED HERE AS A MATTER OF GENERAL INTEREST AND INFORMATION. WE
ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR HOW THEY ARE MIXED, USED OR STORED OR ANY
ADVERSE OR OTHER EFFECTS THEY MAY HAVE ON PEOPLE, PLANTS OR THE
ENVIRONMENT.)

About Us | Contact Us
Fact Sheet Advice

view factsheets:

* 2005 Factsheets
* 2004 Factsheets
* 2003 Factsheets
* 2002 Factsheets
* 2001 Factsheets
* 2000 Factsheets
* 1999 Factsheets

Old 22-07-2006, 05:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Jonno wrote:
Norman wrote:

I have purchased some Copper Sulphate powder to miake up my own
bordeaux mixture, but am not able to buy washing soda anywhere at the
supermarket.

Can anyone help me with info on what I should buy to use.
thanks.

Would suggest extreme caution with the washing soda though, as its vey
alkaline and can burn.
http://www.cutofcloth.com/article_bakingsoda.asp

As well, dont confuse lime with Builders lime which is different to
other lime... Know what you are using....
Old 22-07-2006, 08:00 AM posted to aus.gardens
jils

which supermarket have you tried norman?
google hits aplenty, aussie ones suggest it's in the supermarket near
the laundry detergents.
washing soda = sodium carbonate.
pulled this off the web:
Can you tell me where I could buy washing soda? I have tried a number of
big supermarkets, and a big hardware chain, but with no success. Thanks.

You'll find washing soda in the cleaning aisle of your supermarket. It's
in a smallish clear plastic bag in either a crystal or powder form. The
brand name is Lectric Soda. It's generally around the pre-wash, ironing
aid area. Most supermarkets have it, it's just usually well hidden.

Old 23-07-2006, 05:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
Norman

Thanks so much for your help.

Will look for it in Safeway next week.

u...

Old 23-07-2006, 11:11 AM posted to aus.gardens
George.com

"Norman" wrote in message
Thanks so much for your help.

Will look for it in Safeway next week.

any bulk food retailer should have it. I buy it in bulk from an outfit
called Bin Inn here in NZ.

rob