Old 14-09-2006, 10:00 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

Default Poisoning Ivy

"Ms Leebee" wrote in message

Hi all.

We moved into a house that has had its fencelines hacked by invasive,
crazy, overgrown ivy. We filled 2 skips with it ( and other junk ), and
still have to dig out the trunks, which we will do when the fences come
down to be replaced, in a few weeks time.

Anyway, the ivy has been there so long, I keep finding new underground
shoots, trying to re-establish themselves. The sawn-off trunks are trying
to regrow, etc etc. I have been told the only thing to do with ivy is to
poison it, however I am concerned about poisoning the soil, and affecting
the trees I will eventually want to grow along the new fenceline.

1. - Will I be able to rid myself of ivy by simply ripping it all out ( to
the best of my ability )
2. - If I need poison, is there a method or type of poison that will only
affect the ivy ?
3. - If I need poison, how do I apply it ?
4. - Any other advice or alternatives/tricks welcome

Probably the best and easiest way is to chop down, or dig out as much as you
can. As it grows back, spray with roundup, or similar (they don't affect
the soil, just the plant), and continually spray as you see new shoots grow.
You'd have to get the neighbours doing it on their side of the fence as well
though. It may take a while, but eventually you'll get it all.

I think most of the herbicides won't affect the soil, but I'm sure it would
say on the packaging. Spray is probable the easiest to use.

Jen

Old 14-09-2006, 02:21 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jen" wrote in message
"Ms Leebee" wrote in message

We moved into a house that has had its fencelines hacked by

invasive,
crazy, overgrown ivy.

Probably the best and easiest way is to chop down, or dig out as

much as you
can. As it grows back, spray with roundup, or similar (they don't

affect
the soil, just the plant), and continually spray as you see new

shoots grow.

The problem with glyphosate is that it doesn't really knock ivy. If
you are going to try glyphosate add both detergent (to break through
the waxiness of the ivy leaf) and kero to it (to help do the same as
the detergent).

I've tried glyphosate and it does little, just makes the ivy look ill
for a while. Arboricide or blackberry spray are made of much sterner
stuff..

Poisoning Ivy Andrew Gabb Australia 2 23-09-2006 10:54 AM
Poisoning Ivy Jonno Australia 4 17-09-2006 09:41 AM
Poisoning Ivy Farm1 Australia 0 14-09-2006 02:17 PM
Poisoning Ivy Terryc Australia 0 14-09-2006 08:58 AM
Poisoning snails - poisoning birds? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 31 10-04-2004 06:04 PM