Old 25-09-2006, 10:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default lime tolerant grevillea's ?

Hi
does any one know of grevillea's that will cope with a lot of lime stone,
have only 300mm -500mm top soil, then we have a solid limestone plate.
I bring in as much mulch as I can, but we live in Milang SA so also have a
problem with low rain fall. not the ideal place for a gardener.
I use my grey water and lots of natives do survive, not tree's, nothing to
keep them in the ground on a windy day, so need to stick to shrubs.
I really like the native birds in the garden and grevillea's are some of the
nicest shrubs about.
Any idea's
regards Ann

Old 26-09-2006, 08:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

Ann you best answer for this would be the Australian Plants web site;
magnificent for information on native flora!
You can post your question here and have experts do the research
http://www.whitepage.com.au/gumnuts/
Cheers, Pete
PS Will be travelling down there in a couple of days from Western Sydney
(to Robe actually)

Old 26-09-2006, 01:16 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"robertson" wrote:

does any one know of grevillea's that will cope with a lot of lime stone,
have only 300mm -500mm top soil, then we have a solid limestone plate.
I bring in as much mulch as I can, but we live in Milang SA so also have a
problem with low rain fall. not the ideal place for a gardener.
I use my grey water and lots of natives do survive, not tree's, nothing to
keep them in the ground on a windy day, so need to stick to shrubs.
I really like the native birds in the garden and grevillea's are some of the
nicest shrubs about.

Whew! That IS tough! I would be building up my garden beds as much as
possible and going for local grevilleas (if any) or perhaps Western Australian
ones. But also consider Eremophilas, and plants with small flowers.
Grevilleas with large showy flowers attract the large birds, not the smaller
ones. WHat's the local flora like? Tough as old boots, probably.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 27-09-2006, 02:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

I believe that large parts of Adelaide are on a heavy limestone soil,
so you could get a book talking about the native flora of Adelaide and
see from there what is, and isn't, limestone-tolerant. Presumably the
Adelaide botanic gardens would also have relevant information.

Tish

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:16:41 +1000, Chookie

Old 28-09-2006, 01:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

robertson wrote:
Hi
does any one know of grevillea's that will cope with a lot of lime stone,
have only 300mm -500mm top soil, then we have a solid limestone plate.
I bring in as much mulch as I can, but we live in Milang SA so also have a
problem with low rain fall. not the ideal place for a gardener.
I use my grey water and lots of natives do survive, not tree's, nothing to
keep them in the ground on a windy day, so need to stick to shrubs.
I really like the native birds in the garden and grevillea's are some of the
nicest shrubs about.
Any idea's
regards Ann

A Google search for "lime tolerant grevilleas" brings up over 800 pages
on the subject, you should be able to find what you need there.