Old 03-01-2007, 12:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default frost question

"meeee" wrote in message
i have been!! g i got one lovely one (decorative, not veg) the other
week that i think isn't. just to give myself something to fuss & obsess
about. i'm looking forward to the winter veg which won't give me any
worries, i must say. it's the "summer" things which suffer when it won't
bloody stop frosting that is driving me mad!

thanks!
kylie

Lol sounds like you're having fun anyway. I think the others had better
advice...but one thing I do know is that if your tomato plants get bitten
and cark it, pull them out by the roots and hang them upside down; you'll
get most of your green tomatoes ripening that way. I had tomatoes half way
through winter with this trick!!

thank you! that's a good tip. i suspect there'll be a lot of hanging
tomatoes around here this autumn :-) (they're just going so sloooooow!)
kylie

Old 03-01-2007, 08:55 PM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"meeee" wrote in message
[...]

uh huh...just when you want them to hurry up and ripen before the frost
kills them, they decide to get all sleepy....last time I did this, we were
living on a 'shared' block with some tourist cabins; the road the tourists
used went straight past our house, and our greenhouse was right next to the
road. I used to love watching the looks; they'd come up the driveway, see DH
sitting in the hammock after work, dreadlocks swinging in the breeze, reggae
playing loudly, and some suspicious looking plants drying in the
greenhouse....then, oh, it's only tomatoes and they'd smile and wave and
probably wonder what else we had drying out the back....lol yuppies are
funny people.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"meeee" wrote in message

but one thing I do know is that if your tomato plants get bitten
and cark it, pull them out by the roots and hang them upside down;

you'll
get most of your green tomatoes ripening that way. I had tomatoes

half way
through winter with this trick!!

thank you! that's a good tip. i suspect there'll be a lot of hanging
tomatoes around here this autumn :-) (they're just going so

sloooooow!)

Or make lots of green tomato pickle.

Newbie question: Exactly what is 'frost'? Brock Australia 8 18-08-2009 10:52 PM
Dumb Frost Question louisxiv United Kingdom 5 27-03-2006 10:35 PM
Dahlias and frost - a question. Uncle-C United Kingdom 6 19-11-2005 10:00 PM
last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 04:31 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM