Old 07-01-2007, 12:44 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default help! potato emergency!

"Stuart Naylor" wrote in message
tbh, i still evidently don't know what to expect! i'm going to put in some
more, to see if the same thing happens in 3 months. THEN i will know! (i
might be the disorganised gardener from hell, but i love a good
experiment.)
/adjusts lab coat and einstein-hairdo

Perhaps try another different variety.

of hairdo? no, i was just making that up. it's my moustache that's the spit
of einstein's. g

I have 2 dogs that show an interest in gardening although theirs'
isn't always a constructive interest particularly with above ground
fruit & vegetables. ;-)

i'll say one thing for my naughty-dog-who-is-very-good-really, - he's not a
gardener. :-) although i must say things have to be a certain size before he
realises he's not supposed to walk there any more. next time around, i'm
getting a dog who's psychic, too.

Anyway about 10 days later I could plainly see a couple of shoots in
the hanging basket which would have been real beaut if they had been
lemons, but they were tomato plants. About 2 weeks later up came a
spud then eventually up came the 4 lemons (or at least I think they're
lemons).

clearly you're not using the abysmal potting mix _i_ am! (address all gripes
to my potting mix whinge-o-thon.) *

Tomatoes and potatoes grow like weeds around here.

excellent!!!! except when you want to rest the beds from the solanaceae
family. --- can talk the talk, eh ;-)
kylie
* i did another experiment, & _this_ time the potting mix is out-doing the
planted-outs. it is a mystery both deep and wide.