Old 04-05-2008, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato emergency........ please help!!!!!!!

I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had flower
clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift. Will they
recover and produce fruit or will they remained deformed and not bear?
Please, does anyone know? Should I replace them or will they recover?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had flower
clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift. Will they
recover and produce fruit or will they remained deformed and not bear?
Please, does anyone know? Should I replace them or will they recover?

Only time will tell.

I'd plan on replacing them, and keep them away from the property line
this time. :-(

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 04-05-2008, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Katey Didd" wrote:

The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift.

Ask your neighbor to replace the plants.
Roundup is quite short-lived, so if the plants survive at all they may well
recover.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Katey Didd" wrote:

The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift.

Ask your neighbor to replace the plants.
Roundup is quite short-lived, so if the plants survive at all they may
well
recover.

I don't want to get on their bad side over a few dollars. They're trying to
clean up a messy weed strewn yard left by the old owners of their property.
The plants still look healthy and are a nice green color. Just the newest
growth is deformed and curled. We're sick over this.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Old 04-05-2008, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had flower
clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with
Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift. Will
they
recover and produce fruit or will they remained deformed and not bear?
Please, does anyone know? Should I replace them or will they recover?

Only time will tell.

I'd plan on replacing them, and keep them away from the property line
this time. :-(

Thank you for replying. I wish I had somewhere else to move the garden but
no other sunny spots exist. On the other side of us the owners spray their
gravel driveway to keep it clean looking. We've gotten the drift from them a
few times, but not on our tomatoes. Tomatoes must be very sensitive as the
peppers and okra are unaffected.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

[...]

Time to put up a barrier? :-)

Old 04-05-2008, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Katey Didd" wrote:

The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift.

Ask your neighbor to replace the plants.
Roundup is quite short-lived, so if the plants survive at all they may
well
recover.

I don't want to get on their bad side over a few dollars. They're trying to
clean up a messy weed strewn yard left by the old owners of their property.
The plants still look healthy and are a nice green color. Just the newest
growth is deformed and curled. We're sick over this.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Don't just sit there and stew. Ask your neighbors to be careful
with their spraying, because you have put in a lot of effort you
don't want it to affect your garden, especially with food prices
spiraling upwards.. If they continue, you'll know what their
attitude about you is. If they ask about their spraying, be sure
to let them know, as matter of factly as you can, about the
correlation between their spraying and the damage to your tomatoes.

When your tomatoes come in, be sure to offer a few to your
neighbors;-)

http://100777.com/node/1687
and
www.westernmassafsc.org/colombia/SprayReport.pdf

The last one, at first glance, may not seem relevant but give it
a good perusal.
--

Billy
http://www.counterpunch.org/martin05022008.html
Old 06-05-2008, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I believe roundup is a systemic herbicide. If your plants were
healthy to begin with, you could take a few and try removing the new
growth - pinch back. Kind of like sucking the venom from a snakebite
(OK, I think that's just Hollywood, but the principle is the same).
Only if you leave it go, you're too late. The stuff works it's way to
the roots and then kills the plant.

Or maybe there was something else going on, and they wilted from too
much sun, just coincidence neighbors. I do know one thing, if I
had even slightly misted my 'mater plants with roundup, they'd be
dead. Karma is a real.. you know.

That's why I'm graduating to a flamer this year. Could be fun if I
don't blow myself up.

Flame on!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
gonzo wrote:

I believe roundup is a systemic herbicide. If your plants were
healthy to begin with, you could take a few and try removing the new
growth - pinch back. Kind of like sucking the venom from a snakebite
(OK, I think that's just Hollywood, but the principle is the same).
Only if you leave it go, you're too late. The stuff works it's way to
the roots and then kills the plant.

Or maybe there was something else going on, and they wilted from too
much sun, just coincidence neighbors. I do know one thing, if I
had even slightly misted my 'mater plants with roundup, they'd be
dead. Karma is a real.. you know.

That's why I'm graduating to a flamer this year. Could be fun if I
don't blow myself up.

Flame on!

I've considered one of those! Where do you get them?
Are they legal everywhere?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

[...]

I wish! A nice 8' tall fence on both sides would be nice.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Katey Didd" wrote:

[...]

I will for sure. I already gave them some flowers that didn't fit in the
flower bed. They're very nice people, really.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"gonzo" wrote in message
I believe roundup is a systemic herbicide. If your plants were
healthy to begin with, you could take a few and try removing the new
growth - pinch back. Kind of like sucking the venom from a snakebite
(OK, I think that's just Hollywood, but the principle is the same).
Only if you leave it go, you're too late. The stuff works it's way to
the roots and then kills the plant.

Or maybe there was something else going on, and they wilted from too
much sun, just coincidence neighbors. I do know one thing, if I
had even slightly misted my 'mater plants with roundup, they'd be
dead. Karma is a real.. you know.

That's why I'm graduating to a flamer this year. Could be fun if I
don't blow myself up.

Flame on!

They still look good except for the new deformed growth. They wont die I'm
sure. I will pick up more this week at Lowe's. I wish people would read the
labels on products before they use them.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

I wish! A nice 8' tall fence on both sides would be nice.

Mine is 7ft. g 12" stone and 6' wood.

They deliberately killed my grape vines...
I'm trying to come up with a good fence vine that is roundup resistant.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"gonzo" wrote in message
[...]

Some people do not care about their neighbors and are "allergic" to
green!

I'm not saying yours are, I just have one that is.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

I wish! A nice 8' tall fence on both sides would be nice.

Mine is 7ft. g 12" stone and 6' wood.

They deliberately killed my grape vines...
I'm trying to come up with a good fence vine that is roundup resistant.

Maybe the Dept. Of Ag where you live can suggest something resistant to
RoundUp.