Old 05-05-2007, 12:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Calendulas and Marigolds?

My calendulas and marigolds have long since expired however,
I now have hundreds of these that have self seeded through out my vege
garden.
My concern is; will they survive through the winter?

Regards Pete from Windsor NSW

Old 05-05-2007, 12:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Yes, yes and yes!! They will survive anything. LOL I used to live up
the road in Orange and nothing would kill them, although the large
marigold plants would get knocked by the frost but the seeds would
survive and reappear in the spring. Both make for lots of colour,
although the odour is not so nice.

I remember Calendulas (in bloom) peeping through snow, they looked
fabulous. In fact my (now adult) son as a 2-3yo used to collect
Calendula seeds and grow them, this was his first foray into gardening
and he learned to write 'orange flower seedlings' on
labels/pots/anything they were grown in and they were literally
everywhere. LOL

I've been getting my (now) 5yo DGD interested in gardening too, but
don't think I could cope with 'orange flower seedlings' again, so have
reverted to the other child specialty of succulents.

Thanks for the memory
Bronwyn ;-)

Old 09-05-2007, 01:48 PM posted to aus.gardens

HC writes:
marigold plants would get knocked by the frost but the seeds would
survive and reappear in the spring. Both make for lots of colour,
although the odour is not so nice.

While some object to the marigold's perfume, I love it! My first
gardening success was to grow towering Stinking Rogers. In retrospect I
think they probably grew all by themselves and I just watered them and
claimed all the credit. (After all, where would I have obtained some
seed from?)