Old 25-06-2007, 02:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Animal Proof Plants

Hey,
I am looking for plants tollerent to Animals,Kanga's & Possum Poo's,
I think I will plant just about anything aslong as it grows and grows
like a weed.

I have found possum poo's and kanga's don't like Sweet William flower
plants,actually they won't even go near them,so am planting lots of these.
I am not fencing and will be exposed to bushland or Forrest,so if it can
be eaten it will.

average temp +4C low sun.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 25-06-2007, 03:09 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Cyborg 0091" wrote in message
Hey,
I am looking for plants tollerent to Animals,Kanga's & Possum Poo's,
I think I will plant just about anything aslong as it grows and grows like
a weed.

I have found possum poo's and kanga's don't like Sweet William flower
plants,actually they won't even go near them,so am planting lots of these.
I am not fencing and will be exposed to bushland or Forrest,so if it can
be eaten it will.

average temp +4C low sun.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Oleander and a cactus with spines

Old 25-06-2007, 05:56 PM posted to aus.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:
"Cyborg 0091" wrote in message

Hey,
I am looking for plants tollerent to Animals,Kanga's & Possum Poo's,
I think I will plant just about anything aslong as it grows and grows like
a weed.

I have found possum poo's and kanga's don't like Sweet William flower
plants,actually they won't even go near them,so am planting lots of these.
I am not fencing and will be exposed to bushland or Forrest,so if it can
be eaten it will.

average temp +4C low sun.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Oleander and a cactus with spines

spines would work,but it cold,also these are expensive,not to keen on
the cactus look either,I am in a lush wet area, I have 90sq meters of
gardens to fill maybe more if I find something to grow.

Oleander I am looking at thanks,could take a while to get going?
I have ilumina as shrub tree's for borders,I had to cage these obviously.

thanks.

Old 26-06-2007, 02:19 PM posted to aus.gardens

Cyborg 0091 writes:
I am not fencing and will be exposed to bushland or Forrest,so if it can
be eaten it will.

Should you not anticipate rabbits, also?

Anyone: are there feral rabbits in Tasmania? Maybe not, I'm thinking,
as there are [almost] no foxes.

Old 26-06-2007, 04:41 PM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
Cyborg 0091 writes:

I am not fencing and will be exposed to bushland or Forrest,so if it can
be eaten it will.

Should you not anticipate rabbits, also?

Anyone: are there feral rabbits in Tasmania? Maybe not, I'm thinking,
as there are [almost] no foxes.

Bunny Rabbits a few,they are not really much an issue where I am,not
enough grass,very alkaline dirt I think also,Fox's and Tassie Tigers
don't come out very often,have never seen them actually.
Old 26-06-2007, 05:00 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Cyborg 0091" wrote in message

Hey,
I am looking for plants tollerent to Animals,Kanga's & Possum Poo's,
I think I will plant just about anything aslong as it grows and grows like
a weed.

I have found possum poo's and kanga's don't like Sweet William flower
plants,actually they won't even go near them,so am planting lots of these.
I am not fencing and will be exposed to bushland or Forrest,so if it can
be eaten it will.

average temp +4C low sun.

Any suggestions?

Agapanthus

Arhh yes,I am sure I have seen these in my travels many times in
different colors,I can use a few of these in open places,maybe in pinks
and reds if I can find them.

Thanks,

Do you know of any small bush flowers,like the sweet william,that are
maybe green half the year and flower when ever.

small bushy and pretty.
I had -10C and the last 3 weeks have been below -5C at night heavy frost
and sweet williams have hacked it just,bit of leaf browing,but they
handled it.
Anything similar.

Old 27-06-2007, 01:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Cyborg 0091" wrote in message

Hey,
I am looking for plants tollerent to Animals,Kanga's & Possum Poo's,
I think I will plant just about anything aslong as it grows and grows
like a weed.

I have found possum poo's and kanga's don't like Sweet William flower
plants,actually they won't even go near them,so am planting lots of
these.
I am not fencing and will be exposed to bushland or Forrest,so if it can
be eaten it will.

average temp +4C low sun.

Any suggestions?

Agapanthus

Arhh yes,I am sure I have seen these in my travels many times in different
colors,I can use a few of these in open places,maybe in pinks and reds if
I can find them.

I didn't know they came in red. I have heard of a plae pink one and the one
clled Black Pnather, but apparently it is not a particulalry good doer.
Given your conditions you might be better to stick to the older and common
blue and white varieties.
I'd also suggest red hot pokers - tough and not attractive to animals.

Thanks,

Do you know of any small bush flowers,like the sweet william,that are
maybe green half the year and flower when ever.

The might not be your cup of tea but the Sedum Autumn Joy might be a goer.
It sort of looks like a succulent but it gets pinkish flowers in Autumn but
it dies back in winter. Some of the small hebe bushes also flower well and
should be tough.