Old 06-09-2007, 10:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default native plant suggestion

Hi

I need suggestions for a native shrub to plant along a fence which will grow
rapidly and provide a screen. If it's bird attracting that's a bonus, but
less significant than providing an effective screen, as we've also got
bottlebrushes and grevilleas growing in our yard.

I live in Caboolture shire, north of Brisbane. The soil is quite clay-ish
and drains slowly. It used to be a pine plantation but it has been cleared
and now is host to lots of black wattle trees.

Thank you

Rosie

Old 07-09-2007, 01:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

"roses beads" wrote in message
Hi

I need suggestions for a native shrub to plant along a fence which will

grow
rapidly and provide a screen. If it's bird attracting that's a bonus, but
less significant than providing an effective screen, as we've also got
bottlebrushes and grevilleas growing in our yard.

I live in Caboolture shire, north of Brisbane. The soil is quite clay-ish
and drains slowly. It used to be a pine plantation but it has been cleared
and now is host to lots of black wattle trees.

Thank you

Rosie

What sort of space is available? (length and width)
Is it full sun / partial shade / shade?
How tall do you want the plants to grow?

Personally I'd go for more grevilleas, callistemons, acacias and melaleucas
as you know they'll grow, or depending on how bad the soils are, you could
try syzygiums, Backhousia citriodora, swamp banksia, or even casuarinas.

I'd do a mix of the above to give a more "natural" look to the screen rather
than a hedge- like thing.

If I can unmung your addy, I'll send you some pdfs of old factsheets on tree
selection and planting techniques for heavy clay soils that might be of
help.

Amanda

plant suggestion Steve Gardening 0 16-02-2005 08:35 PM
Plant suggestion anyone? Miles Texas 26 18-03-2004 09:35 AM
Plant suggestion anyone? No Indian Hawtgirnes Bob Texas 0 14-03-2004 01:13 PM
Plant suggestion anyone? Miles Texas 2 13-03-2004 11:40 PM
plant suggestion Audrey Australia 8 30-08-2003 11:42 AM