Old 13-10-2008, 10:20 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default newspaper starter pots

http://www.geocities.com/newspaperpots/

I came across these after some searching. The theory behind is that when it
becomes time to plant out,the entire container is buried thereby minimising
transplant shock.
The newspaper is to break down quickly and the roots grow through it.

Well I take a slightly more cynical view. Newspaper is fairly tough and and I
can see it taking many months to decompose and if roots CAN grow through it
then they would do so whether the container is buried or not. And they don't
seem to. I can visualize a pot bound seedling waiting months for the newspaper
to decompose.

Has any one actually had experience with this method and does it work?

--
faeychild
Old 13-10-2008, 11:11 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:20:52 +1100, faeychild wrote:

The newspaper is to break down quickly and the roots grow through it.

Well I take a slightly more cynical view. Newspaper is fairly tough and
and I can see it taking many months to decompose and if roots CAN grow
through it then they would do so whether the container is buried or not.
And they don't seem to. I can visualize a pot bound seedling waiting
months for the newspaper to decompose.

Your assumption is correct, if there are many layers of newspaper and they
are not watered, but remember, the whole pot is now buried in the ground
and it is watered and thus being broken down by being eaten and
decomposing, etc.

Experience would tell you how many layers to use.

Newspaper pots Rikki United Kingdom 10 16-05-2012 08:01 AM
newspaper pots agentelrond Gardening 4 01-06-2008 11:19 PM
recycling news - newspaper pots Salty Thumb Gardening 5 23-02-2004 02:34 AM
Weed mat vs Newspaper Gen Australia 10 21-07-2003 04:33 PM
Newspaper seed tubes? Charlie United Kingdom 14 29-03-2003 07:56 AM