Old 18-12-2008, 05:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Strange rose flower mystery ... (or is this common?)

in my backyard i have a yellow rosebush, and to the right of it a pink
rosebush ... they were here when i moved in 3 years ago.

I don't know how long this phenomenon has been happening, but this year i
noticed that some -- not many, just a few, of the yellow roses were getting
pink bits on them, mostly speckles .....

I asked a few people but they weren't sure what might be happening so I'm
just wondering if anybody here might be able to shed some light on it?

Here is a photo of a couple of the yellow roses with pink spots --
http://i40.tinypic.com/2a9pt9d.jpg
You can notice at the bottom of the photo that there's a normal, perfectly
yellow unaffected rose flower -- as most of the yellow roses are, yet the
two in the foreground are 'pinkified'

Old 21-12-2008, 10:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"Dave -Turner" wrote:

in my backyard i have a yellow rosebush, and to the right of it a pink
rosebush ... they were here when i moved in 3 years ago.

I don't know how long this phenomenon has been happening, but this year i
noticed that some -- not many, just a few, of the yellow roses were getting
pink bits on them, mostly speckles .....

I asked a few people but they weren't sure what might be happening so I'm
just wondering if anybody here might be able to shed some light on it?

Have a look for aphids. I've seen buds get pink spots from aphid damage
(well, I think that's what it is).

Been absent a while -- optus has been having newsgroup problems.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old 21-12-2008, 01:09 PM posted to aus.gardens

Optus has lost me.
They have more than newsgroup problems
Financial problems
They wanted more for their Internet and started charging for uploads and
downloads.....
"Chookie" wrote in message

Old 23-12-2008, 02:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

The problem is caused largely by Thrips. I experience the same problem in my
garden.

Thrips are sucking insects - much much smaller than aphids. Very tiny. Take
the flower - you can see the tiny insects scammering around inside.

Its especially bad with the light colored roses - the whites and yellows. -
Also affects Azaelas a lot too.

The thrips are attracted to those colors.

They burrow into the flower buds - lay their eggs - and when the flowers
bloom - the young suck the life out of it.

Rogor is good at dealing with them. They are much harder to get rid of than
aphids.

Cheers,

YMC

. au...

Old 23-12-2008, 05:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

thankyou very much