Old 14-01-2009, 11:26 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Some gardening safety tips...

Some important warnings, DO NOT post advertisements, DO NOT post your REAL
NAME or EMAIL, and DO NOT post ANYTHING to this email forum that you do not
want search engines to find, and DO NOT post CONTACT INFO of any kind. This
will prevent a lot of problems in these areas...and will help stop your own
computer from being compromised....

Old 15-01-2009, 12:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
Some important warnings, DO NOT post advertisements, DO NOT post your
REAL NAME or EMAIL, and DO NOT post ANYTHING to this email forum that
you do not want search engines to find, and DO NOT post CONTACT INFO
of any kind. This will prevent a lot of problems in these areas...and
will help stop your own computer from being compromised....

Giving your correct email will certainly produce a deluge of spam, there are
bots that trawl newsgroups looking for just that. But what will somebody do
with my real name? Given the many places names can be found isn't this a
little paranoid? Now for those who may not want to be accountable for what
they say (not saying everybody who gives a false name is like that) I can
see why they would want to be anonymous.

David

Old 15-01-2009, 12:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Jonno wrote:
Some important warnings, DO NOT post advertisements, DO NOT post your
REAL NAME or EMAIL, and DO NOT post ANYTHING to this email forum that
you do not want search engines to find, and DO NOT post CONTACT INFO
of any kind. This will prevent a lot of problems in these areas...and
will help stop your own computer from being compromised....

Giving your correct email will certainly produce a deluge of spam, there
are bots that trawl newsgroups looking for just that. But what will
somebody do with my real name? Given the many places names can be found
isn't this a little paranoid? Now for those who may not want to be
accountable for what they say (not saying everybody who gives a false name
is like that) I can see why they would want to be anonymous.

David

Tying things together is what happens once they have your name.
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you!
That goes for anyone.
Wonder where spam comes from?

Old 15-01-2009, 02:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

No others havent....
Old 15-01-2009, 02:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

you've just learnt this?

Old 15-01-2009, 02:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

Wonder where spam comes from?
smtp servers generally

Old 15-01-2009, 06:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
Some important warnings, DO NOT post advertisements, DO NOT post your
REAL NAME or EMAIL, and DO NOT post ANYTHING to this email forum that
you do not want search engines to find, and DO NOT post CONTACT INFO
of any kind. This will prevent a lot of problems in these areas...and
will help stop your own computer from being compromised....

Giving your correct email will certainly produce a deluge of spam, there
are bots that trawl newsgroups looking for just that. But what will
somebody do with my real name? Given the many places names can be found
isn't this a little paranoid? Now for those who may not want to be
accountable for what they say (not saying everybody who gives a false
name is like that) I can see why they would want to be anonymous.

David

Tying things together is what happens once they have your name.

Indeed. I agree with you, but then perhaps David hasn't had an attempted
murder of a member of his family. That tends to focus one's attention
somewhat, and such an attempt doesn't even necessarily involve using the
Net, but it does make one focus on what information and tracking can go on
without one being aware of it.

Old 15-01-2009, 07:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

Should have written:
Don't you wonder where spam comes from?
I was asking in general. The search engines compile it and spammers use
it...
Being a little facetious.

"Dave -Turner" wrote in message
. au...
you've just learnt this?

Old 15-01-2009, 12:18 PM posted to aus.gardens

"What" do you think?
"Erik Vastmasd" wrote in message
I'm almost certain I caught a glimpse of "Jonno " on
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 23:26:40 GMT, writing in aus.gardens:

snipped

DO NOT post your REAL NAME or EMAIL

So is "Jonno " a valid email address?

RU doing exactly what you suggest *we* shouldn't do?
--

Erik

Old 15-01-2009, 01:09 PM posted to aus.gardens

There's an obvious answer!
"Erik Vastmasd" wrote in message
I'm almost certain I caught a glimpse of ""Jonno" " on
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:18:52 GMT, writing in aus.gardens:

"Erik Vastmasd" wrote in message
I'm almost certain I caught a glimpse of "Jonno " on
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 23:26:40 GMT, writing in aus.gardens:

snipped

DO NOT post your REAL NAME or EMAIL

So is "Jonno " a valid email address?

RU doing exactly what you suggest *we* shouldn't do?

"What" do you think?

I asked what I thought was a reasonable question.
You chose not to answer.
--

Erik

Old 15-01-2009, 11:41 PM posted to aus.gardens

http://tinyurl.com/a7wgof
A spam reporting filter from the ACMA
Only good for MS Programs though...

Old 16-01-2009, 01:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 23:41:25 +0000, Jonno wrote:

A spam reporting filter from the ACMA

ACMA is less use tan tits on a bull.
Last time I looked, they wanted so much crap entered.
Far better to just sign up at http://spamcop.net

In thunderbird, I then control+u to show the full message, right click in
the window and select copy, then go to the spamcop.net tab in the browser
and paste, then click enter.

If you subscribe, it is then an instant confirmation click, otherwise a
few seconds wait.

The benefit is that very quickly millions of mailers world wide
get the message to block the mailers used in the sending of the spam.
Tends to cut a lot of spam very quickly.

Old 16-01-2009, 05:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

"terryc" wrote in message

ACMA is less use tan tits on a bull.

Hmmm. As someone who has had lots of bulls, I've yet to see any tits on a
bull, tanned or otherwise. But it sure is something I'd like to see.

Old 16-01-2009, 07:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

Sounds kinky that.
I've been had, but never by a bull.
Can I watch? (grin!)
PS You cant say that about the ACMA. They get spammers eventually....

"terryc" wrote in message

ACMA is less use tan tits on a bull.

Hmmm. As someone who has had lots of bulls, I've yet to see any tits on a
bull, tanned or otherwise. But it sure is something I'd like to see.

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
OT Halloween Safety Tips KenCo Ponds 2 30-10-2004 03:18 PM
OT Halloween Safety Tips KenCo Ponds 0 27-10-2004 04:50 AM
OT Halloween Safety Tips KenCo Ponds 6 03-11-2003 03:42 AM
child safety tips K30a Ponds 0 07-07-2003 07:20 PM