Old 14-02-2009, 10:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Beyond loverly rain

Another 112mm fell over night which makes 172mm since Tuesday. It's getting
squishy now as the soil cannot hold any more, the dam is overflowing and the
river is up, another day of this and I will be flooded in.

But I am not complaining, nosireebob.

David

PS Who was Bob?

Old 17-02-2009, 12:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Another 112mm fell over night which makes 172mm since Tuesday. It's
getting squishy now as the soil cannot hold any more, the dam is
overflowing and the river is up, another day of this and I will be flooded
in.

But I am not complaining, nosireebob.

David

PS Who was Bob?

my uncle, actually g
kylie

Old 17-02-2009, 01:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 09:27:31 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Another 112mm fell over night which makes 172mm since Tuesday. It's getting
squishy now as the soil cannot hold any more, the dam is overflowing and the
river is up, another day of this and I will be flooded in.

So that was Sunday, and it's been raining steadily since, and this
morning I've been watching the radar and it just keeps on coming - are
you still there, or have you been washed away?

On a side note, I can't imagine the fires out near Singleton are still
burning...
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"If ye cannae see the bottom, dinnae complain if ye droon"
Old 17-02-2009, 02:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

Ross McKay wrote:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 09:27:31 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Another 112mm fell over night which makes 172mm since Tuesday. It's
getting squishy now as the soil cannot hold any more, the dam is
overflowing and the river is up, another day of this and I will be
flooded in.

So that was Sunday, and it's been raining steadily since, and this
morning I've been watching the radar and it just keeps on coming - are
you still there, or have you been washed away?

It's eased off, another 61mm since then. The river came up on Sunday night
but not so much it cut the road, it is still roaring but in its banks. When
we were looking to buy the place I noticed it was only 20cm deep but had
banks 10m high, a valuable clue if one stops to think. It comes about from
having a large catchment in steep country flowing to my valley which is not
steep. It's like running a bath with the plug out, whether it rises or
falls depends on the inflow rate.

On a side note, I can't imagine the fires out near Singleton are still
burning...

Probably not. Also the rain has spread up the Hunter valley and further
inland on the nth west slopes and tablelands which is good.

David