Old 07-04-2009, 07:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default HELP!! My tomatoes are dying

My tomatoes started out very healthy but a couple have died off. I was left
with 3 plants that I thought would be very healthy but now two of them are
succumbing to the same problem the others had.

At the base of the plant, the stem is going brown, thin and hard. It seems
to be choking the plant to death.

What is causing this? Can I bring them back to life? What should I do next
time to stop it happening?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
Petesin

Old 07-04-2009, 12:43 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Petesin" wrote in message
My tomatoes started out very healthy but a couple have died off. I was
left with 3 plants that I thought would be very healthy but now two of
them are succumbing to the same problem the others had.

At the base of the plant, the stem is going brown, thin and hard. It
seems to be choking the plant to death.

What is causing this? Can I bring them back to life? What should I do
next time to stop it happening?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
Petesin

My guess the 120 days of life that a tomato looks forward to is up. It's
getting towards the end of the season. So time to plant something else.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

They are only about 6 weeks old. I'm in north west queensland and it's too
hot to grow them over summer and autumn through to early winter is still
warm enough for them. We haven't had a day under 32 degrees since it rained
in mid feb and the one that is still healthy is growing quite well. I'm
thinking it may have something to do with mulch being too close to the stem.

Old 19-04-2009, 03:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

Petesin wrote:
They are only about 6 weeks old. I'm in north west queensland and it's too
hot to grow them over summer and autumn through to early winter is still
warm enough for them. We haven't had a day under 32 degrees since it rained
in mid feb and the one that is still healthy is growing quite well. I'm
thinking it may have something to do with mulch being too close to the stem.

We have the same problem here in Midwest .
if it is the mulch too close to the stem
Old cardboard milk or juice cartons
around the base of the plant stops the mulch and some bugs earing the
stems or rotting them .

Plastic 2 litre milk bottles also save the fruit trees from whipper
snipper ring barking

HTH