Old 15-07-2007, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes dying

My four tomato plants are dying off.

One plant is badly affected by grey patches on the stems and the leaves are
shrivelling, turning yellow or just rotting and it appears virtually dead
although the yellow flowers seem unaffected. This is now spreading to the
other three plants. They were all perfectly healthy on weds when I was tying
for support and pinching out side shoots.

Can some one tell me what it may be. Can I save them or do I say goodbye to
tomatoes this year?

Steve

Old 15-07-2007, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve" wrote in message
My four tomato plants are dying off.

One plant is badly affected by grey patches on the stems and the leaves
are shrivelling, turning yellow or just rotting and it appears virtually
dead although the yellow flowers seem unaffected. This is now spreading to
the other three plants. They were all perfectly healthy on weds when I was
tying for support and pinching out side shoots.

Can some one tell me what it may be. Can I save them or do I say goodbye
to tomatoes this year?

Steve

Probably blight. It is hitting toms and spuds really bad this year.
Pull them up and burn them or put them in the dustbin.

David.

Old 15-07-2007, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
My four tomato plants are dying off.

One plant is badly affected by grey patches on the stems and the leaves
are shrivelling, turning yellow or just rotting and it appears virtually
dead although the yellow flowers seem unaffected. This is now spreading
to the other three plants. They were all perfectly healthy on weds when I
was tying for support and pinching out side shoots.

Can some one tell me what it may be. Can I save them or do I say goodbye
to tomatoes this year?

Steve

Probably blight. It is hitting toms and spuds really bad this year.
Pull them up and burn them or put them in the dustbin.

David.

definitely blight, it seems to be everywhere this year, even got into the
greenhouse. As for saving them, I am leaving mine to see if I can get some
ripe toms before the plant collapses completely

Old 16-07-2007, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

I am confused with the advice given for disposing of blighted
tomato/potato tops. Firstly if you put them in the dustbin then you
could well be fined by the council, depending where you live, garden
waste must be binned in special bins. Secondly others here maintain that
they can be safely composted. If not then surely no one should use
"Council" compost,as that will surely contain these nasties, indeed
treated garden waste with nasty chemicals on will also go into Council
bins!
Old 16-07-2007, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

My husband grew tomatoes commercially for years. He says burn them.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-07-2007, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 16/7/07 08:10, in article ,

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Sacah

Was just going to post and ask whether it could possibly be blight on my
outdoor toms. Out of about 20 plants about 3 look extremely vigorous and
healthy. Is it worth keep those or get rid of the lot?

Old 16-07-2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/7/07 21:56, in article
, "Trevor"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 16/7/07 08:10, in article ,

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

If it's blight you've had it - pull them up and burn them. It spreads like
the plague.
If it's mildew you can spray IF you want to with a fungicide but that's all
you can do.
Mildew is white mould on the leaves and stems but with blight the fruit
becomes marbled black and rotten. If you spray and it doesn't work, it's
blight. Spray and see if it helps. This is my husband's advice because
there seems to be some confusion between the two problems and their
treatment. But as I say, you may not want to use sprays.

Old 17-07-2007, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 16/7/07 21:56, in article
, "Trevor"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 16/7/07 08:10, in article ,

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

More black than white so looks like more room for some winter cabbages!