Old 19-05-2003, 02:49 PM
CINDY CAMPBELL

Default Wood Preservative?

I am looking at using timber sleepers as borders for raised vegie garden
beds and pallets for a compost pile.
A friend told me that a combination of old engine oil and kerosene works
pretty well.
Can anyone tell me:
1) Is it true - will this work, and
2) What proportions of each do I use in the mix?

Obviously this would be appealling as a relatively cheap and 'green' option.
Regards;

Blair

Old 19-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Bushy

1. Certainly will, they have used it for fence posts for years.

2. Whatever mix lets you brush it on, and have it soak in. Depends on how
much of the oil is sump oil and how much was petrol or kero from washing
parts in.

Sometimes fence posts are dipped in a drum of the old waste "oil" and left
to soak instead of brushing them. I dump all my waste oil and parts washer
waste together and it seems to work out pretty well to stop the termites
eating them, and I haven't had any of my posts rot yet, but I've had a few
burn.....

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old 20-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Jock

Green is not a term used when depositing waste oil into the earth I would
have thought. Especially if you are gonna be eating off it. Len has some
ideas on this too.
Look here :
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...145037841.html
might have a few ideas..
Jock

Old 20-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Andrew G

"CINDY CAMPBELL" wrote in message
I am looking at using timber sleepers as borders for raised vegie garden
beds and pallets for a compost pile.
A friend told me that a combination of old engine oil and kerosene works
pretty well.
Can anyone tell me:
1) Is it true - will this work, and

Yep, it will work. Nothing wrong with using 100% engine oil either, just
that it's harder to brush, and you need more of it.
If you use kerosene don't use much. Just enough to thin the oil out a
little.

2) What proportions of each do I use in the mix?

Just experiment with it. I'm guessing not much kero at all when compared to
the amount of engine oil.

Obviously this would be appealling as a relatively cheap and 'green'

option.

Very cheap, possibly not to green. I painted a few things at work to
preserve them. We normally do the bridges with creosote. Terrible to use,
and as I was doing some logs in the gardens I chose engine oil. Plenty of it
from the workshed. Got told that it's not really a good idea, as if the EPA
or possibly workcover saw me it wouldn't be good as it's illegal in the
workplace.
So creosote is legal, but oil isn't?
If you wanted to be "green" and 100% safe go for the same stuff used on
oyster racks. It's got to be safe as it goes in the lakes around here. I
have a feeling it's creosote too.
If you use the oil, allow it to "weather" for a week or 2 before packing
soil/compost against it.

Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Regards;

Blair

Wood preservative that won't weaken upvc fascia cladding? AL_n United Kingdom 3 12-09-2011 09:26 AM
Preservative for cut flowers in vase. Pete E. Kruzer[_2_] Gardening 1 02-08-2010 04:20 PM
wood preservative R United Kingdom 5 21-05-2003 11:20 PM
Wood Preservative? CINDY CAMPBELL Australia 0 19-05-2003 02:44 PM
Non-toxic preservative for wood in raised beds pgh Gardening 6 25-04-2003 05:44 PM