Old 11-09-2011, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wood preservative that won't weaken upvc fascia cladding?

I'm about to clad the fascia boards on my house with UPVC fascia cladding
(10mm thick). The existing wooden fascia boards have a little wet rot in a
couple of places. So I'm thinking of treating those sections with some kind
of wood presevative prior to nailing the cladding in place. I just want to
make sure I don't use a preservative that's going to exude chemicals that
could affect the UPVC in any way. Any suggestions?

I would replace the affected woodwork, but there is no way I can do this as
I can't afford a scaffolding and am doing the job with a ladder only.

I'm wopndering if it's even necessary to treat the affected fascias,
because wet rot stops as soon as the wood is no longer subject to dampness,
I gather. Any views?

Al
Old 11-09-2011, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Sep 2011 14:24:23 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

I'm about to clad the fascia boards on my house with UPVC fascia cladding
(10mm thick). The existing wooden fascia boards have a little wet rot in a
couple of places. So I'm thinking of treating those sections with some kind
of wood presevative prior to nailing the cladding in place. I just want to
make sure I don't use a preservative that's going to exude chemicals that
could affect the UPVC in any way. Any suggestions?

I would replace the affected woodwork, but there is no way I can do this as
I can't afford a scaffolding and am doing the job with a ladder only.

I'm wopndering if it's even necessary to treat the affected fascias,
because wet rot stops as soon as the wood is no longer subject to dampness,
I gather. Any views?

Al

I suggest you post your question in uk.d-i-y. AFAIK, if you apply
preservative or paint, once it's dry it won't affect the PVCU.
However, neither will it cure wet rot. If you seal moisture inside the
wood then you may make any problem worse. So better to check with the
"experts" in the other group.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

I suggest you post your question in uk.d-i-y. AFAIK, if you apply
preservative or paint, once it's dry it won't affect the PVCU.
However, neither will it cure wet rot. If you seal moisture inside the
wood then you may make any problem worse. So better to check with the
"experts" in the other group.

Cheers
Jake

Missed the OP, so replying via Jake's post.

We had UPVC soffits, fascias and barge boards fitted last year. Not
cladding. The old wood was mostly removed, but in one place, a gable
end, it wasn't possible to rip out the barge board, so they had to
clad the existing timber. They spent some time boring lots of large
(~30mm) holes right through the existing barge board, because they
said otherwise condensation builds up behind the cladding and the wood
rots. They said it was a common problem with simple cladding and
cheap-jack installers. Whether true or not I don't know, but I see no
reason why they should bother to do it otherwise. The contract was set
and they needn't have bothered; I would have been none the wiser.

My apologies I sent the original post to this group in error. I cancelled
the post almost within a few minutes, as soon as I realised. Anyway, thanks
for the input.

Chris: Your hole-boring info was of special interest I haven't heard of
that practice before. With the same end in mind, I was aready thinking of
adding some kind of spacers between the cladding and the fascia boards to
create a small (say 5mm) air space.

Al

uPVC WIndows samfoster United Kingdom 1 13-03-2009 09:39 AM
wood preservative R United Kingdom 5 21-05-2003 11:20 PM
Wood Preservative? CINDY CAMPBELL Australia 3 20-05-2003 11:32 AM
Wood Preservative? CINDY CAMPBELL Australia 0 19-05-2003 02:44 PM
Non-toxic preservative for wood in raised beds pgh Gardening 6 25-04-2003 05:44 PM