Old 20-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Dion

Default Transplanting Grevillias

Doing some rearranging of a garden bed today and we had to move a
50cm-ish high Grevillia we planted several months back.

Anyway, while moving it the roots got damaged. The root ball is about
50% of its original size. None of the major roots were damaged, just
a lot of the smaller ones which fell off due to the weight of soil
clumped in with the roots.

Should the plant pick itself up okay - are Grevillias fairly hardy?
I've given it some fertiliser designed for transplanting as well, but
I'm not sure if there's much else I can do except for TLC.

Old 20-07-2003, 10:33 AM
rapdor

I would cut it back by 40% immediately, then give it a spray with white oil
(about 10 ml in a half litre), and leave the ground around the roots bare to
soak up any sun it can get.

news

Old 20-07-2003, 11:53 AM
Dion

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:09:23 GMT, "rapdor"
wrote:

I would cut it back by 40% immediately, then give it a spray with white oil
(about 10 ml in a half litre), and leave the ground around the roots bare to
soak up any sun it can get.

I was considering a bit of trimming, but it being winter I was
thinking that growth is fairly slow anyway?

The ground is exposed though, for sure.

What does the white oil do?

Old 20-07-2003, 12:19 PM
rapdor

This is the correct time of year for pruning most native trees.

The white oil will help protect the plant from winter winds, and reduce
moisture loss from the leaves. This may be important for the survival of
the transplant. It will also help with scale and other often unnoticed
nasties. It's perfectly harmless and safe. When spraying, make sure you
get a good cover on the branches as well as the leaves--allow it to run down
the branches. So long as you don't mix it stronger than 2% your tree will
have a much better chance of survival. (Go easy on the watering too.)

In general, natives hate being transplanted, and seldom survive unless still
juvenile. But yours is still small enough to be OK.

Old 21-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Terry Collins

Dion wrote:

...snip.....

Anyway, while moving it the roots got damaged. The root ball is about
50% of its original size. None of the major roots were damaged, just
a lot of the smaller ones which fell off due to the weight of soil
clumped in with the roots.

The small roots are the important ones for taking in water and
nutrients, so I would suggest a heavy pruning to reduce the demand for
water and nutrients to what the remaining roots can handle.

--
Terry Collins {:-)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www:
http://www.woa.com.au

Old 21-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Dion

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:54:23 +1000, Terry Collins
wrote:

The small roots are the important ones for taking in water and
nutrients, so I would suggest a heavy pruning to reduce the demand for
water and nutrients to what the remaining roots can handle.

Thanks. Have done some pruning and added nutrients where possible.