Old 20-03-2004, 03:41 AM
Martin

Default Specific Jap. Maple Grafting Question

Hi,
There might be some hobby grafters out there. My question is about the
understock. At the moment I have ~50 one and two year old maples growing
I started off from seed.Do they develop a larger stem (which of course I
need for grafting) with any attention like stem or leaf pruning?
Thanks
Wolf
Old 20-03-2004, 07:19 AM
China

--
G'day Martin,
You make it hard old mate, where are you, what type of

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 23-03-2004, 04:40 AM
Martin

In article ,
says...

--
[...]

Hi China,
I am in the Newcastle area,I am talking about Acer palmatum and being
"potty" I have them all in 12cm pots in water trays in part shade. If I
get you right, you suggest to put new seedlings in seed beds after true
leaves apear and leave them like onions until the stem is thick enough
for grafting? Would my 1 and 2 year old potted maples improve their stem
diameter by leaf or stem pruning?
In case you are an expert I have one more question about Taiwanese Maples
( god knows the latin name )? The seeds seem to be brown and ripe
already. Should I start putting them in Spaghnum Moss and the fridge
already?
Wolf

Old 23-03-2004, 06:02 AM
China

--
G'day Martin,
I'm no expert, but I once studied under someone who
was. With your potential rootstock, what you want is to force as much growth
up through the main stem as you can before they go dormant, so I would be
wary of any pruning above where you hope to make the grafts except to keep
them to a single trunk. You may want to clear growth up to the desired graft
height, but not so as to slow them down. Feed them up with nitrogen and
don't worry to much about shape as you will probably be pruning them back
hard to just a few inches high when you are ready to graft. This chap had
years of experience and I've seen him graft thin little seedlings only a few
months old. Once he demonstrated grafting with a Camellia seedling that only
had just sent up its first 2 seedling leaves, then he cut of its little tap
root, grafted and struck it in the same pot. Amazing stuff, it still had the
seed case attached. So you don't really need much diameter, just practice.
He recommended cold treatment for cool climate maples, about 3 months in the
fridge if I recall. So I would go ahead with next spring in mind. Good luck
and let us know how you go. What are you going to do with all those plants?

China
Wingham
NSW

Specific Jap. Maple Grafting Question Martin Australia 0 20-03-2004 03:34 AM
Specific Jap. Maple Grafting Question Martin Australia 0 20-03-2004 03:34 AM
[IBC] Jap Maple Structure cut Martin Haber Bonsai 5 11-10-2003 11:02 PM
Jap Maple Structure cut Theo Bonsai 0 11-10-2003 01:12 PM
[IBC] Jap. Maple, looks good, not growing audgen Bonsai 3 28-05-2003 10:20 AM