Old 27-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Norman

Default New Ground

Hi Fellow Gardeners,
I have just dug up a patch of virgin
soil in which I want to plant some potatoes just to break the ground up.

Parts of this patch of garden have some clay areas
Should I add anything to the ground or should I plant the spuds straight in?

Thanks.

Norman

Old 27-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Gerald Ross

Norman wrote:

Hi Fellow Gardeners,
I have just dug up a patch of virgin
soil in which I want to plant some potatoes just to break the ground up.

Parts of this patch of garden have some clay areas
Should I add anything to the ground or should I plant the spuds straight in?

Thanks.

Norman

Both, add some sand or topsoil to the clay then plant them at an angle.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

Old 03-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Mylorace

Parts of this patch of garden have some clay areas
Should I add anything to the ground or should I plant the spuds straight in?

Perhaps wise to add a shovel of gypsum pre Sq/m to the clay areas first, then
the topsoil... it worked for me.
Mylo.

Old 22-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Crimson Castle

Hello,

I'm curious. Does growing potatoes actually help to break up clay soil?

I have an area in my backyard which I am leaving fallow - its got plenty of
weeds, clay soil, a mix of sunshine and shady spots. But I am too busy in my
front yard to take care of the backyard at the moment. (Sidenote: My mother
is sick and I have to make frequent visits to check up on her.)

I don't know what to do with the backyard. But if I grow potatoes - will it
help to rejuvernate the soil?

Thanks!

Crimson

Old 25-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Crimson Castle" wrote:

I'm curious. Does growing potatoes actually help to break up clay soil?

Yes, but it doesn't really *rejuvenate* the soil -- the mulch you apply to the
spuds does that. The potato roots travel into thhe clay and allow the passage
of moisture, thus breaking up the clay.

BUT...

Potat roots don't travel down. They travel outwards from the stem.
Therefore, to break up teh clay, you need to plant the spuds IN it, not just
ON it. You might find that a no-dig garden is easier, particularly in heavy
clay, especially as it results in a raised bed.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet