Old 02-10-2004, 07:05 AM
TJF

Default Tomato wilt

Hi, in the past I have grown tomatoes and probably grown them too often in
the same place. The last couple of attempts have seen them grow well and
then suddenly start turning up their toes, dying from the bottom up. The
leaves go all yellow and start to wilt. I'm presuming it is tomato wilt and
is something in the soil. Any clues as to how to fix it so I can start
growing tomatoes again?
Thanks.

Old 20-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Chookie

In article , "TJF"
wrote:

Hi, in the past I have grown tomatoes and probably grown them too often in
the same place. The last couple of attempts have seen them grow well and
then suddenly start turning up their toes, dying from the bottom up. The
leaves go all yellow and start to wilt. I'm presuming it is tomato wilt and
is something in the soil. Any clues as to how to fix it so I can start
growing tomatoes again?

You have two options. The first is to drench the soil with fungicide in the
(I suspect vain) hope of blitzing the fungus.

The second is not to plant any solanaceae there for a number of years, to
allow the fungus numbers to decline naturally. Solanaceae include tomatoes,
spuds, eggplants, capsicums and chillies. If you must grow tomato relatives
this year, plant them a long way from this area, and remember to practice crop
rotation assiduously in future.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 16-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Gregory Toomey

Nancy wrote:

does anyone know what causes wilt in tomatos.

High summer temperatures. Perhaps lack of water.

my tomatos have been growing fine, i have been
picking a lot.
the cherry tomatos are fine but the roma's and the big red's
now have wilt.
is there anything you can spray them with to stop the wilt.
cheers
Nancy

Spraying is for insects/fungus.

gtoomey
Old 17-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Nancy

hmmmmm I live in a cool climate on the south coast of WA.
they get plenty of water, 20mins retic in morning and hand water at night.
i check about 4" in the ground and it is always moist.
I think the wilt we get here is caused by a fungus.
I checked with some other gardeners in the area today and they have the same
problem.

Old 17-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Chookie

In article , "Nancy" wrote:

does anyone know what causes wilt in tomatos.
my tomatos have been growing fine, i have been
picking a lot.
the cherry tomatos are fine but the roma's and the big red's
now have wilt.
is there anything you can spray them with to stop the wilt.

I doubt whether fungicides are terribly successful -- remove affected plants
and burn them, or put them in the rubbish (not the compost). Don't plant
tomatoes (or capsicum, chillies or eggplant) in the same area next year.

tomato wilt gritz Edible Gardening 12 01-07-2004 06:02 PM
tomato wilt woes Siouxzi North Carolina 15 29-08-2003 11:03 PM
TOMATO WILT! gritz Plant Science 1 13-06-2003 03:44 PM
tomato plant wilt Sean Gardening 6 12-05-2003 03:44 AM
Tomato wilt/virus??? Ian Mitchell Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM