Old 11-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Sean

Default tomato plant wilt

I recently planted 6 "Bonnie" brand tomato plants. These plants come in
a paper-like, bio-degradale container in which one is supposed to leave
the plant when planting. I put about 2 tablespoons of Ag Org fertilizer
in the bottom of each hole and placed the plants so 80% of the plant was
buried. On the 4th day after planting, I examined them in the morning
and saw they all grew 2 inches and all looked great. I examined them
again that evening to discover one of the plants had completely wilted
with no discoloration. The rest of the plants still look great. The
same thing happened to a tomato plant that was previously planted there.
Does anybody have any ideas as to what could have caused this kind of
rapid wilting?

Old 11-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Sean

The Ag Org fertilizer is basically dried chicken manure. I didn't think
that kind of fertilizer would cause fertilizer burn.

Old 11-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Sean wrote:

The Ag Org fertilizer is basically dried chicken manure. I didn't think
that kind of fertilizer would cause fertilizer burn.

Chicken manure is too hot, with too much N for fruiting. Mix in and cover
with several inches of soil to prevent direct contact. You're far better
off with a commercial slow release 5-10-10 or 5-10-5 plus secondary nutrients
tomato food. Organic mixes are available, such as Espoma Tomato Tone.

That assumes the fertilizer was at fault. What was the VFN rating for
your plants?

Old 11-05-2003, 07:57 PM
FarmerDill

I recently planted 6 "Bonnie" brand tomato plants. These plants come in
a paper-like, bio-degradale container in which one is supposed to leave
the plant when planting. I put about 2 tablespoons of Ag Org fertilizer
in the bottom of each hole and placed the plants so 80% of the plant was
buried. On the 4th day after planting, I examined them in the morning
and saw they all grew 2 inches and all looked great. I examined them
again that evening to discover one of the plants had completely wilted
with no discoloration. The rest of the plants still look great. The
same thing happened to a tomato plant that was previously planted there.
Does anybody have any ideas as to what could have caused this kind of
rapid wilting?

The fact that two plants in the same area suggests bacterial wilt, I don't have
any idea where you are but it is a serious problem in the south, particularly
in soils with a high water table, Not much you can do about except change your
planting site.
The Bonnie Best aka John Baer is an old timer without resistance to VFN, but
none of those diseases manifests itself in the manner you described.

[IMG] code is On

Sudden wilt in tomato plant dkra Edible Gardening 3 21-05-2005 09:05 PM
tomato wilt gritz Edible Gardening 12 01-07-2004 06:02 PM
tomato wilt woes Siouxzi North Carolina 15 29-08-2003 11:03 PM
TOMATO WILT! gritz Plant Science 1 13-06-2003 03:44 PM
Tomato wilt/virus??? Ian Mitchell Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM