Old 09-10-2004, 10:25 AM
gromit

Default Composting

Having caught up with this group after a couple of weeks absence I
notice there has been much discussion on composting.

I don't have a large garden area, but being in Perth, the soil is
quite sandy and needs to be built up to be of any use. I have planted
roses in a small plot in the back yard, and want to build up the
unused areas of this plot as well as other areas in the garden.

I inherited a small compost bin which I've not done anything with, as
I've not been too sure how to manage it. It is made from plastic,
cylindrical in shape measuring 800mm high by ~500mm in diameter at the
top. I pulled it up to see what was inside and there was mainly sand
inside with small bits and pieces inside (old bits of palm bark which
has not really broken down. I am going to start it from scratch and
would like some pointers as to what I should use.

I am a novice at this gardening thing and want to learn. Thanks in
advance )

--
Phil
To reply delete "NOTHANKS"
Old 10-10-2004, 02:26 AM
Andrew G

"gromit" wrote in message
Having caught up with this group after a couple of weeks absence I
notice there has been much discussion on composting.

I don't have a large garden area, but being in Perth, the soil is
quite sandy and needs to be built up to be of any use. I have planted
roses in a small plot in the back yard, and want to build up the
unused areas of this plot as well as other areas in the garden.

A good start that will help things along a little is adding cheap potting
mix to the sand. If you can afford the dearer stuff in the amounts you need
then go for it, or even bags of bought compost.
We here on the mid north coast of NSW have the "black sand". It does tend to
make the natives grow really well, and some other things, but any garden I
have added the cheap potting mix to has done ok.

I inherited a small compost bin which I've not done anything with, as
I've not been too sure how to manage it. It is made from plastic,
cylindrical in shape measuring 800mm high by ~500mm in diameter at the
top. I pulled it up to see what was inside and there was mainly sand
inside with small bits and pieces inside (old bits of palm bark which
has not really broken down. I am going to start it from scratch and
would like some pointers as to what I should use.

I would get rid of anything already in it.
Start with vege scraps, and even some lawn clippings. They will help the
composting effect, producing heat and killing any weed seeds. Basically
anything that naturallly breaks down relatively quickly. Any prunings that
aren't too woody, and are still green when you add them is good. Even a bag
of potting mix. Don't add any types of meat, and thats about it. Also give
it a very light sprinkle of water if dry.
With only myself, fiance and 17month old in the house we don't produce
enough waste to keep a compost bin going. I've found that just bagging the
vege scraps from each night, then burying them directly in the garden in
different areas every few days works well. They start composting in the bag
anyway. I might get the odd vege growing from seed but nothing that is hard
to pull out.
Every 2 weeks or so turn the compost over. If you have a second bin it makes
it a little easier to fork it into, otherwise just take the bin off the top
of the compost (it shouldn't have a bottom in it), place it next to the
pile, then fork the pile into the bin again.

Good luck

Old 12-10-2004, 12:33 AM
freebird

"gromit" wrote in message
[...]

I've used a closable compost bin with a lid before and found that the
compost didn't get enough air and went "rotten", ie started to stink.
Got much better results from just starting a heap in a shady corner.
If you mix some cardboard in it will encourage worms. You can also
buy compost starter which works well by introducing the necessary
bacteria.
Also consider covering your garden beds with mulch. Use a soil
wetting agent for your pots and sandy soil!

barb