Old 17-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Paul Homes

Default Red/Pink dye in Herbicides

G'day Gardeners,

Can anybody tell me the name of the pink/red additive councils use in
their herbicides to let the operator know a piece of land has been
sprayed, please?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 18-10-2004, 02:34 AM
Gregory Toomey

Paul Homes wrote:

G'day Gardeners,

Can anybody tell me the name of the pink/red additive councils use in
their herbicides to let the operator know a piece of land has been
sprayed, please?

Thanks,

Paul

Its probably identical to the "Post Box Red" food colouring you get from
Woolworths.

gtoomey

Old 18-10-2004, 02:53 AM
Geodyne

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:47:37 +0800, Paul Homes
wrote:

Can anybody tell me the name of the pink/red additive councils use in
their herbicides to let the operator know a piece of land has been
sprayed, please?

IIRC correctly, it's called "Waxolene", and a little bit goes a long
way. It's the same thing used in ANFO to identify the explosive from
normal fertiliser.

Waxolene is typically used at the rate of 1 tsp per litre.

Geodyne

Old 18-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Andrew G

"Paul Homes" wrote in message
G'day Gardeners,

Can anybody tell me the name of the pink/red additive councils use in
their herbicides to let the operator know a piece of land has been
sprayed, please?

Hi there
We use it and it's called Virbac Spray Marking Dye.
It's about $47 per 5 litre from memory.
That's the pink stuff, and as for the blue stuff it's called tru-blu marking
dye (i think) and it comes in both a liquid or powder, and we have used the
powder to dye the dams for comps at work.
The blue is dearer. The only benefit it has is it makes grass looks really
good for a few days after spraying, so no point for weed spraying.
You should be able to find it at produce type stores that sell ferts and
chemicals.
Cheers
Andrew
Thanks,

Paul

Old 19-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Andrew G

And just to add, made by Cliftons Rural Products.
Totally harmless to use except for staining of skin and clothes.

Old 20-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Paul Homes

In article ,
Paul Homes wrote:

G'day Gardeners,

Can anybody tell me the name of the pink/red additive councils use in
their herbicides to let the operator know a piece of land has been
sprayed, please?

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks for your replies.