Old 25-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Ken Oaf

Default WTB: Silkworms

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:12:00 +1000, "bleanne" wrote:

My daughter is doing a project on silkworms and we would like to build a
silkworm farm to form a part of her project. Does anyone know where I might
be able to purhcase some silkworms?

Some pet shops keep silkworms.

Old 26-10-2004, 01:38 AM
Gregory Toomey

bleanne wrote:

My daughter is doing a project on silkworms and we would like to build a
silkworm farm to form a part of her project. Does anyone know where I
might be able to purhcase some silkworms?

Thanks

You need a mulberry leaves (or rhubarb leaves) for feed. Can be more
difficult to find than silkworms!

gtoomey
Old 29-10-2004, 12:39 AM
John Savage

Gregory Toomey writes:
You need a mulberry leaves (or rhubarb leaves) for feed. Can be more
difficult to find than silkworms!

Rhubarb? Well, who'd have thought it? But I think the silkworms will dine
out on lettuce, too. It gives a white silk, whereas it's the mulberry
that produces the beautiful golden strands of silk, IIRC. We had some
silkworms when I was a kid. I didn't like boiling them alive, though,
after all the hard work they'd done.

Old 18-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfrodshire

This is long after the orriginal enquiry but I am interested in silkworms and have been researching them for over two years. I rear some each year and take them to craft fairs, giving talks about their life cycle rearing and how silk is produced, as I am a silkweaver.
They are/can be difficult to obtain, but two or three companies do supply. the most reliable being 'Oxford silkworms' a company which is part of 'The Jungle' in Abbingdon, Oxon. www.junglereptiles.co.uk. At time of posting they are having trouble with customs and Exise, but intend to keep supplying when 'things' are sorted. They also supply artificial food in powder form which is a good substitute for mulberry leaves, which are indeed difficult to find in the UK. Worldwide butterlies - on the internet - WWB.co.uk will supply mulberry plants to grow.
Hope this is of use to someone.
Regards Maggie

Silkworms Peter and Susan Australia 4 29-10-2004 09:49 AM
WTB Afghan Pine jan Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
WTB(MELB) Cheap Lilly Pilly's Adam Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
WTB Used Trencher GoatDaddy Texas 2 14-03-2003 09:44 PM
WTB: Greenhouse clear plastic panels Gene S Texas 14 27-02-2003 02:19 PM