Old 14-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Aprill

Default Landscaping from scratch

Hi all.

I have started building on my 75acre farm. We chose a spot for the view
rather than the protection and hence I now have to start thinking about
windbreaks.

The land is in the Southern tablelands not far from Goulburn, NSW. I'm
wondering, first, what zone that is... and secondly, a bit of an idea on
some colourful, fast growing tubestock to plant for windbreak. I'll
probably throw in a Jacaranda and Macadamia tree if they would work in
that climate. The house will be subjected to winds from the south, and
from the north .. at different times of course.
The back of the house with living areas faces north.

Any advice would be appreciated.

...aprill
Old 15-11-2004, 07:56 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Aprill" wrote in message
u...
: Hi all.
:
: I have started building on my 75acre farm. We chose a spot for the view
: rather than the protection and hence I now have to start thinking about
: windbreaks.
:
: The land is in the Southern tablelands not far from Goulburn, NSW. I'm
: wondering, first, what zone that is... and secondly, a bit of an idea on
: some colourful, fast growing tubestock to plant for windbreak. I'll
: probably throw in a Jacaranda and Macadamia tree if they would work in
: that climate. The house will be subjected to winds from the south, and
: from the north .. at different times of course.
: The back of the house with living areas faces north.
:
: Any advice would be appreciated.
:
: ..aprill

I think you would be zone 8.

The cheapest place to buy tubestock and get good advice on species to plant
is your nearest forestry nursery.

http://www.forest.nsw.gov.au/busines...es/default.asp

They will also send tubes by mail.

I think you are going to be very lucky to grow a Macadamia at sunny
Goulburn.

David