Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Doyley

Default Honey and coffee (but not together)

I have two questions:

First, over the years, I've heard on various garden programs, from
various "experts", that one can use honey in white-fly, fruit fly, etc
traps. I don't question the efficacy, just the harm it may do to bees.
Is it true that putting out honey like this can introduce viruses
(virii?) which could do damage to the honey industry? What could it do
to native bees? (Hmm, that's two questions.)

Secondly (or thirdly), I've heard (from the same experts) that diluted
coffee (not instant) is great for killing snails. It doesn't just deter
them, it kills them. If so, what does it do to the critters in the
compost? I have a simple Big-W black bin for my compost, and my wife
puts the gunk from our plunger coffee straight in. I'm concerned that it
will kill the good guys under the surface, or at least chase them away.

Any ideas on these two/three conundrums (conundra)?

Ta,

We are sending to each of you now the REPORT from the 2004 World Conference on Mathematical Biology and Ecology together with instructions of how to get FREE registration in the conference of MATHEMATICS and COMPUTERS in BIOLOGY in Venice (Venetia), W SEAS Biosciences News Plant Biology 0 28-08-2004 04:48 PM
coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 04:03 PM
Koi and ciclids together ek Ponds 6 28-11-2003 07:42 PM
Oldie but goodie (off topic but not quite) anne United Kingdom 10 06-08-2003 11:12 AM
How should I hand pollinate sweet corn where there's not a bunch growing together? H Hornblower Edible Gardening 2 12-07-2003 01:20 PM