Old 01-02-2005, 02:43 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Tomatoes - when to pick?

A week or so ago someone asked about when it was best to pick tomatoes.
I wanted to respond but could not find the magazine containing the
definitive answer. I just found it.

Contrary to popular belief it is NOT a good idea to leave the tomatoes
on the vine to ripen to full red. By leaving the fruit on the vine
actually DECREASES the sugar and acid (the flavouring) content of the
tomato.

To get full flavour, pick the tomato just as it begins to turn from
orange colour to red and then keep them at between 15C and 21C in room
light (NOT a sunny window sill!) for 4-5 days while they finish ripening.

NEVER put tomatoes in the 'fridge because low temperatures alter the
aroma volatiles of the fruit; the volatiles are another major component
of the tomato's flavour.

The tomaotoes will keep quite nicely for a week or more at room temperature.

Anyone who wants to verify the above can read this advice, from a
post-harvest physiologist who studied this subject extensively, in the
Septemver/October 1994 issue of ORGANIC GARDENING (the American
publication), page 25.

The article about when to harvest deals with many vegetables and fruit.

Cheers.

--
Sound that shatters silence is called noise. Sound that enhances silence
is called music.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Andrew Gabb

That's my experience too. Or rather I've noticed no serious
difference in taste between pickin em pinkish and pickin em red.

Andrew

Basil Chupin wrote:

[...]

email: Adelaide, South Australia
phone: +61 8 8342-1021, fax: +61 8 8269-3280
-----

Old 02-02-2005, 04:22 AM
Basil Chupin

Norman wrote:
I found your post very interesting reading and it will change my bad habits
of dealing with tomatoes in the future. I have lots of tomatoes coming on
and will go along with your advice.

Great learning newsgroup.

Thanks for the info.

regards,

Norman

"Basil Chupin" wrote in message

[...]

Glad to have been of help. And good picking with your tomatoes. Hope you
have lots of Tommy Toes - the nicest tomato ever - and Black Russians
(not as prolific as the Toes but very nice).

Cheers.