Old 03-04-2005, 09:31 AM
mansfieldman

Default Eucalypts Identification

I have recently moved to the Victorian High Country from Qld. The Trees are
very different from what I have know in the past. How can I identify the
different types of Eucalypts and natives around me.

I recall from High school the process of identifying species using a process
of looking at leaves, flowers, bark ect. Where can I get one of these book
keys from.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:43 AM
David Hare-Scott

"mansfieldman" wrote in message
I have recently moved to the Victorian High Country from Qld. The Trees

are
very different from what I have know in the past. How can I identify the
different types of Eucalypts and natives around me.

I recall from High school the process of identifying species using a

process
of looking at leaves, flowers, bark ect. Where can I get one of these book
keys from.

"A field guide to Australian trees" Ivan Holliday
"Australian trees key guide" Leonard Cronin
"Native trees and shrubs of SE Aus" Leon Costermans

the 2nd and 3rd are better for the systematic ID of eucalypts

David

Old 03-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Richard

G'day,
Try he

coop-bookshop.com.au

Old 04-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Mike McBain

"David Hare-Scott" writes:

"mansfieldman" wrote in message
[...] How can I identify the different types of Eucalypts
and natives around me.

"A field guide to Australian trees" Ivan Holliday
"Australian trees key guide" Leonard Cronin
"Native trees and shrubs of SE Aus" Leon Costermans

the 2nd and 3rd are better for the systematic ID of eucalypts

If you don't have much experience with eucalypt ID, then the book
by Costermans is the best, since it has quite detailed descriptions,
photos and diagrams and distribution maps. In the Victorian
high country, there are about 4 subspecies of snow gums, Eucalyptus
pauciflora, the unmistakable alpine ash, E. delegatensis, and some
fairly rare species like the Bogong Gum, E. chapmanniana, or
Buffalo Sallee, E. mitchelliana. On the lower slopes, narrow-leaf
peppermint, E. radiata, broad-leaved peppermint, E. dives, manna
gum, E. viminalis, messmate stringybark, E. obliqua, candlebark,
E. rubida, red stringybark, E. macrorhyncha, just to name the
more obvious ones.

Same deal as where you used to live; gums have smooth bark,
stringbarks have bark peeling off in long strips, peppermints and
boxes have bark which breaks down into short fibres when rubbed
between the fingers. For any given location, there is usually
only a choice of two or three gums, two or three boxes or
peppermints and two or three stringybarks. In a few cases, such
as trying to decide between manna gum and E. dalrympleana, you
need to look at the juvenile leaves or bud and fruit characters.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"mansfieldman" wrote:

I have recently moved to the Victorian High Country from Qld. The Trees are
very different from what I have know in the past. How can I identify the
different types of Eucalypts and natives around me.

I recall from High school the process of identifying species using a process
of looking at leaves, flowers, bark ect. Where can I get one of these book
keys from.

YOu could also try your local council, and the local branch of the Australian
Plants Society. The APS groups often run bushwalks in their area to
identify/discuss the local flora.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Eucalypts and vegies Timbo Australia 1 27-04-2005 09:29 AM
Eucalypts Identification mansfieldman Edible Gardening 4 08-04-2005 11:26 AM
Another Plant identification Paul Plant Biology 5 28-03-2003 03:44 PM
Help with identification! Claude Orchids 2 05-02-2003 11:07 PM
Wildflower Identification Needed Inyo Gardening 3 29-01-2003 08:01 PM