Old 05-04-2005, 01:30 PM
China

Default Garlic - Yum!

I first posted this to: rec.food.veg.cooking ,
and did not get single post!

G'day All,
I'm really asking these questions from a gardeners
perspective, so I hope you don't think me 'off topic'.

When it comes to the cooking:

- How different are the many types of garlic?

- Is it important to different cooking styles?

- Is it worth growing more than one type for the kitchen?

- What are the largest or strongest types?

- Any opinions?

China
Wingham
NSW
065

-What do you call a garlic expert?
- Why don't I find any vampires in my garden?
- How many garlic's does it take to change a light globe?
- What does a Gar lick?

Old 05-04-2005, 06:37 PM
len gardener

for me china,

so long as it isn't that irrigated with polluted water chinese stuff
and it's aussie grown it all tastes great.

i'm not much into varieties basically i have the hard neck & soft neck
varieties, planting at the moment got somewhere near 500 bulbets
planted so far.

with the usenet posts that you can see and send may not be able to be
seen by others so sometimes it pays to repost again a couple of weeks
later, don't why or what but that's about the gist of it.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Dwayne

The rec.food.veg. cooking news group is for vegetarians. I don't know why
they didn't answer you, but when I answered one of them and gave them a
recipe that included meat, my answer was blocked and no one saw it.

You might try again.

Dwayne

Old 08-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"China" wrote:

When it comes to the cooking:

- How different are the many types of garlic?

Noticeably so.

- Is it important to different cooking styles?

If you are a purist, I would imagine so.

- Is it worth growing more than one type for the kitchen?

If you have the room and want to do it, yes. Some of the alliums are quite
decorative.

- What are the largest or strongest types?

Russian or Elephant garlic has huge (but rather mild) cloves and is grown
mainly as an ornamental. AFAIK you can eat all sort of alliums, but some are
better-flavoured than others.

I like Welsh onions (also called bunching shallots), leeks, chives, ordinary
garlic and Elephant garlic. I don't really like the taste of garlic chives
and have been unsuccessful in growing shallots. Have never tried tree onions,
but they look fun.

Most alliums grow readily from seed (or in the case of garlic, the cloves), so
have fun experimenting!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:06 AM
leftred

"China" wrote in message
I first posted this to: rec.food.veg.cooking ,
and did not get single post!

G'day All,
I'm really asking these questions from a gardeners
perspective, so I hope you don't think me 'off topic'.

When it comes to the cooking:

- How different are the many types of garlic?

- Is it important to different cooking styles?

- Is it worth growing more than one type for the kitchen?

- What are the largest or strongest types?

- Any opinions?

China
Wingham
NSW
065

-What do you call a garlic expert?
- Why don't I find any vampires in my garden?
- How many garlic's does it take to change a light globe?
- What does a Gar lick?

You can learn a lot about Garlic here
http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Red currant wine...yum rdoiron Edible Gardening 1 10-10-2003 05:42 PM
Kennebecs, oooh yum :) Phaedrine Stonebridge Edible Gardening 0 27-07-2003 06:02 AM
Yum! Karen Kay Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM