Old 01-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Peter Ryan

Default Two Stoke lawnmower

I have just bought a secondhand Victa lawnmower which goes fine.

However, could someone give me some help on the proper ratios for mixing in
two stroke oil with petrol.

The Victa website recommends 50:1 (50 parts unleaded fuel to 1 part oil) for
Victa's high performance "Formula V" oil, and 25:1 for other 2-stroke oils.

Any advice or shortcuts will be appreciated.

Cheers

Peter

Old 01-05-2005, 06:49 PM
len gardener

g'day peter,

not sure about victas own brand label formula v oil, sounds like a
synthetic type oil. in general with some machinery it is best you use
their recommended oil.

for me i have always used castrol 2t, but then i don't use engines
like victa's or mccullochs etc.,.

but at the end of the day get into the habit of only mixing your 2
stroke fuel as you need it. i use one of those fish morney jars
calibrated to .5 a litre, and use a medicine galss to measure the oil.

at 50:1 that is 10ml of oil for the 500ml of fuel, measure out the
fuel before adding the oil at all times.

on the other side of it i ahve written my impression non scientific or
engineered about the recommended use of 50:1 oils in modern engines,
just how i see it from waht i knew around 25 years ago and it was that
long ago that victa knew 2 strokes where going to come under the epa
spotlight. look on my mower page.

and as a for example to support my story i have a shindaiwa
brushcutter that is recommended to run on 50:1 of any sort of oil (and
remember manufacturers of machines don't make oils they get them from
oil blending companies like castrol etc.,.) anyhow the shindaiwa is a
lot heavier on fuel than was my old jonsered 22cc shind' 27cc the fule
use is huge like driving and old v8 (non adjustable carbies these days
epa reg's 'n all). my theory being ok superficially they cut down the
amount of oil to make 2 strokes appear clean but run them richer to
make sure that the engine gets enough oil for lubing purposes. anyhow
you can read it in my story.

the point to remember once outside the warranty period most all of us
do not have the resources to prove that built in obsolesance isn't the
prime factor, in using 50:1.

len
snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Mitch McCreath

"Peter Ryan" wrote in message
I have just bought a secondhand Victa lawnmower which goes fine.

However, could someone give me some help on the proper ratios for mixing

in
two stroke oil with petrol.

The Victa website recommends 50:1 (50 parts unleaded fuel to 1 part oil)

for
Victa's high performance "Formula V" oil, and 25:1 for other 2-stroke

oils.

Any advice or shortcuts will be appreciated.

Cheers

Peter

Peter,
The correct ratio is 25:1

( I have the serice manual for 2 stroke Victas)
(Has come in handy!!)

40 ml of a vegetable based oil to 5 litres of unleaded.

Easiest way to mix the oil.
When you go to get the can refilled you can buy a little container
of 2 stroke oil (40ml). Put that in the can then go add the petrol.
Done easy.

Regards,
Mitch................

Old 01-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Peter Ryan

many thanks for the info peter

"len gardener" wrote in message
[...]

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment

Old 04-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Mitch McCreath

Marko and all,

Sorry about that
had 40 on the brain for some reason.

The answer of course is 200ml oil to 5 litres petrol.

I must of bought about 10+ of those little green tubs
over time.
You can also buy it in 1 Litre as well.