Old 05-05-2005, 01:43 AM
Terry Collins

Default Eggplant

I have been asked by SWMBO (I'm just the labourer) to enquire about
growing eggplant in sydney at this time of year.

Basically, she has foot high plants that have been flowering for about
three weeks, but there is no little egg plants growing.

Is this normal?

And/or is there something she should be doing?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Richard Wright

On Thu, 05 May 2005 10:43:29 +1000, Terry Collins
wrote:

I have been asked by SWMBO (I'm just the labourer) to enquire about
growing eggplant in sydney at this time of year.

Basically, she has foot high plants that have been flowering for about
three weeks, but there is no little egg plants growing.

Is this normal?

And/or is there something she should be doing?

In my experience this is normal. The first flowers fall off without
setting fruit. I think this may be a Sydney thing.

The plant is a perennial. If she is not in a frost prone area of
Sydney then it is worth leaving the plants in over the winter and wait
for a harvest next year. The leaves will look tatty at the end of the
winter, but the next lot of flowers will set.

Old 06-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Terry Collins

Richard Wright wrote:

In my experience this is normal. The first flowers fall off without
setting fruit. I think this may be a Sydney thing.

The plant is a perennial. If she is not in a frost prone area of
Sydney then it is worth leaving the plants in over the winter and wait
for a harvest next year. The leaves will look tatty at the end of the
winter, but the next lot of flowers will set.

Thanks. Most will probably survive the winter as we have a new garden
area to break in this winter. Next time we will probably plant them in
an area they can enjoy for a longer time.

The perennial idea seems interesting. We have a neighbour with a
capsicum in its second year. Need to look at other plants.