Old 30-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Larry

Default eggplant & zuccini

Two questions:
I have a variety of egg plant called "white cloud hybrid", how big
do the fruits get and how do you know if they're ripe?
I have zucchini with a problem, of three plants only one seems to
try to fruit and when it does the squash only grow to about 3 inches then
turn yellow and start to rot, what do I need to do for these guys?
It might help for you to know I live in central Florida and the
weather has ranged from soaking wet for days at a time to dry and in the mid
90's for days (this time of year nothing is consistent)
Thanks for any help you can offer,
Larry L. (a first year 'gardener')

Old 30-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Larry said:

Two questions:
I have a variety of egg plant called "white cloud hybrid", how big
do the fruits get and how do you know if they're ripe?

I'm not sure how big they get. (Do you have a tag or seed packet that
might tell you?)

Eggplants can be harvested while still small (but no longer hard). The
skin should be glossy (color depends on variety -- white, green, streaked,
shocking 'neon' violet or purpley-black). If the skin goes dull and the
fruit starts to go spongey, they are overmature.

I have zucchini with a problem, of three plants only one seems to
try to fruit and when it does the squash only grow to about 3 inches then
turn yellow and start to rot, what do I need to do for these guys?
It might help for you to know I live in central Florida and the
weather has ranged from soaking wet for days at a time to dry and in the mid
90's for days (this time of year nothing is consistent)
Thanks for any help you can offer,

Pick them small...baby squash command a premium!

It sounds like a pollination problem. Either you haven't any pollinators, or the
wet weather has kept them away. You can fill in for the bees by transferring
pollen from the male flowers to the female ones yourself.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 30-05-2003, 06:20 PM
FarmerDill

Two questions:
I have a variety of egg plant called "white cloud hybrid", how big
do the fruits get and how do you know if they're ripe?
I have zucchini with a problem, of three plants only one seems to
try to fruit and when it does the squash only grow to about 3 inches then
turn yellow and start to rot, what do I need to do for these guys?
It might help for you to know I live in central Florida and the
weather has ranged from soaking wet for days at a time to dry and in the mid
90's for days (this time of year nothing is consistent)
Thanks for any help you can offer,
Larry L. (a first year gardener')

1. White Cloud is a relatively small eggplant, Size depend somwewhat on growing
conditions but six inches long should be in the ballpark. As has been
mentioned, eggplant should be picked before the the gloss fades from the skin.
A bit harder to see with white eggplant but still applicable,
2. Sounds like you have no pollinating insects.
Old 31-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Larry

Thanks every one for the great info. You've answered all my questions and
been aof graet help!
Larry