Old 06-04-2003, 09:56 PM
plantsman

Default P. vivax ID?

I planted a small culm of what appears to be P. vivax back in 2001. It was
the smallest culm I could find on the edge of a sizeable grove here in
northeast Tennessee. Mature culms were a nice color of green, approximately
thirty to forty feet tall and 2"-3" diameter. Very beautiful stuff. The
culm that I planted didn't grow at all last year and I assumed that it was
hopefully growing underground and might throw up a culm or two this year.
Much to my surprise a couple of days ago. I found that there were ten new
culms sprouting up, some were over six feet away and this thing is planted
in fairly awful clay.

I was wondering if anyone could help me ID this plant based upon how the new
shoots look like. These are a purple sort of color with the first sheath at
ground level being almost black. The mature culms have leaflets two to
three times the size of P. aureosulcata and the long branches grow straight
out and weep slightly at the ends instead of being upward growing like P.
aureosulcata. They are very bushy looking, like a smaller Moso. The culms
have a shallow sulcus but without any pronounced difference in the soft
green color. There is a bit of white wax above and below the joints. Any
ideas?

Thanks,

David

Old 07-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Beecrofter

Thanks,

David

Blotchy purple/black sheaths and a more pendulous foliage sure point to vivax.
Save some culm sheaths for later analysis.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:56 AM
plantsman

Definitely blotchy purple/black sheaths. I found two more today, bringing
the total up to twelve new culms! I'm really amazed at how many have
sprouted from this one culm. If it keeps this up, in a couple of years I'm
going to be selling it or investing in a flamethrower!

David

om...

Propagating vivax Justin Thyme Bamboo 3 02-02-2006 02:33 PM
P. vivax with a hole in culm Travis Bamboo 15 13-07-2005 06:34 PM
just how wind-resistant is vivax? sam Bamboo 6 26-04-2004 01:03 AM
Stripeyness of P. Vivax Aureocaulis mullens Bamboo 0 10-06-2003 04:20 PM
advice needed about moso, vivax and yellow groove bamboos Stephen Bamboo 0 18-04-2003 09:58 AM