Old 18-04-2003, 09:58 AM
Stephen

Default advice needed about moso, vivax and yellow groove bamboos

Someone has very small groves of these inside of concrete circles, the
depth of which is not known. They are going to be digging them up in
the next few days and getting rid of them - they said I can have the
bamboo. I know that moso and vivax are both larger bamboos and that
all three are cold hardy here during an average winter (moso might not
be if we have a harsh winter, but we have not had one in a long time)
but I have concerns about containing these bamboos.

First some background since it might help you tell me if these will be
extremely invasive here. I live in zone 6b and the temperatures in
winter rarely drop below five degrees, only doing so once this winter
and none the last three winters prior. The summers are hot and fairly
humid, most days are in the ninties and days near or barely over 100
are not unheard of in the heat of August and sometimes part of July
and September.

The soil is fairly rich on part of my land and pretty average,
possibly even poor on the other end. The land is quite rocky,
especially in the soil that seems to be poorest. I am judging the
quality of the soil simply on how grass grows in these areas, in the
"poor" part it needs mowed half as often as on the other parts.

I have been told that I will need to put in a barrier of some kind
twenty inches deep, but someone said that large bamboos like moso and
vivax needed a barrier to a depth of four feet. Is this correct? It
would be incredibly difficult to dig a trench to a depth of two feet
to intall some type of barrier in this rocky soil, much less four
feet. I am also concerned about wind. We frequently have spring
winds in the 25-30 mph range, although these tend to taper off as
summer approaches and are not an everyday thing, we usually have a
couple of windy days every couple of weeks in spring. We have a lot
of thunderstorms as well, and winds of 50+ are not terribly uncommon
during spring storm season.

Can the bamboo tolerate the winds? And how deep does the barrier
really need to be for these bamboo types?