Old 23-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Wayne

Default Indoor water Bamboo turning yellow?

Got a bamboo plant as a gift with the following instructions.
"keep the roots covered with water and it will thrive" printed
on the sheet of paper it came with.

The 2 plants are about 10 inches tall and each has one ?stalk?
of leaves right near the top. Everything was going fine, until
a few days ago one of the two plants started turning pale
yellow, in three days it is now 95% yellow and beginning
to soften, while the other is still fine showing no sign of
yellowing. Before this the stalks with the leaves grew
somewhat over the four months I had it which is part of
what really puzzles me. It seemed to be doing great for
four months then all of the sudden one of the plants turned
almost completely yellow within 48 hours

I keep them in a 4 inch diameter 3 inch high decorative
oriental pot with large glass beads to hold them in place.
I keep the water filled and change the water completely
every other week as recommended by a person at the
local flower shop who has something similar they call
"Lucky Bamboo" My plants look similar yet different.
I asked them about it and they don't know what to tell
me though they assure me I can always cut the bamboo
to grow a new plant from the sick?dead? one.

Any ideas on if I can save the plant, or should I just cut it
to make a new plant? Only the top inch is still green and the
leaves seem fine.

thanks

Wayne

Old 24-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Chris

"Wayne" wrote in message ...
Got a bamboo plant as a gift with the following instructions.
"keep the roots covered with water and it will thrive" printed
on the sheet of paper it came with.

What you are describing is Dracaena Sanderiana or "Lucky Bamboo". A
web search should provide a wealth of information on this plant.

Unfortunately this plant has nothing in common with Bamboo other than
being green and a plant :-)

Try this site.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...335512397.html

Good luck!
Old 25-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Wayne

What you are describing is Dracaena Sanderiana or "Lucky Bamboo". A
web search should provide a wealth of information on this plant.

Thank you like i siad it looks similar to what the local shop sells as
"Lucky Bamboo" but my friend said and it hos on the paper "authentic
Bamboo" after looking around i am sure that it is in fact really Dracaena
Sanderiana.

Unfortunately this plant has nothing in common with Bamboo other than
being green and a plant :-)

it fooled me

are there any good, easy to care for, real bamboo plants that
can be grown indoors?

Try this site.
Good luck!

Thanks
Wayne

Old 25-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Chris

"Wayne" wrote in message ...

it fooled me

Look at the ads on this page :-) It is meant to fool. The really
foolish thing is that it is a 10 cent weed that is sold for $20 and up
:-)

are there any good, easy to care for, real bamboo plants that
can be grown indoors?

Bamboo is all easy care, when it is in the ground. Most bamboo's will
survive in pots, but will not thrive and most like full sun.

Here are a couple that prefer not so much sun, so might do well in a
pot and also very pretty.

FARGESIA NITIDA- (According to Endangered Species Nursery
www.endangeredspecies.com) Prefers a cool, moist climate with no
intense sun. Gets 12' high in a cool climate with shade but only 3'
high in a hot climate. 1/2" maximum culm diameter. In a hot climate
it must not have any direct sun on its foliage except in early morning
or very late afternoon. In fact, the best growing location in a hot
climate is on the north side of a building, lighted by the open sky
but NEVER ANY direct sun. Or, in a 90% shade house.

PHYLLOSTACHYS AUREA (Golden Bamboo)- Runner, but will do ok in the
pot. This is one of the most durable Bamboo's, don't plant it in the
ground unless you plan to control it.. probably every horror story
ever spread about bamboo is Golden Bamboo. In your setting it would
stay green, it only yellows in intense sunlight.

PHYLLOSTACHYS NIGRA (Black Bamboo)- Looks great grown in mostly
shade, doesn't look as good but thrives in full sun. Puts up green
shoots and over the course of about 9 months they turn jet black.
Will do ok in a pot.

BAMBUSA MULTIPLEX ALPHONSE KARR- Prefers to be in the ground with
almost full sun, but will survive in a pot indoors. If you have it in
a spot with a lot of sun it will probably do a little better.

These are some of the smaller bamboos. All of them can be pruned to
fit in your home, and all are very pleasing to the eye and with the
exception of the Fargesia, easy to come by. I have experience growing
all of these except the Fargesia, I just included it because it is an
unusually attractive plant and it's ideal conditions are easily
duplicated indoors.

I'm sure others will chip in their 2 cents as well! Hope it helps.

Chris
Chino,CA
Old 25-04-2003, 05:44 PM
hollenback

"Wayne" wrote in message

it fooled me

are there any good, easy to care for, real bamboo plants that
can be grown indoors?

I have had good luck with:
Indocalamus tessellatus (Big Leaf Bamboo)
You will need some room for this, mine is 5 feet wide and 2 feet tall in a 2
gallon pot.

Pseudosasa japonica (Arrow Bamboo)
This will grow tall and narrow.

Any of the Pleioblastus dwarf bamboo seem to do good indoors.

Also check Gibs picks at Tradewinds nursery.
http://www.bamboodirect.com/bamboo/c...ibs_picks.html

Bill

Old 26-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Travis

hollenback wrote:
"Wayne" wrote in message

it fooled me

are there any good, easy to care for, real bamboo plants that
can be grown indoors?

I have had good luck with:
Indocalamus tessellatus (Big Leaf Bamboo)
You will need some room for this, mine is 5 feet wide and 2 feet tall
in a 2 gallon pot.

I don't think 2 gallon pots are 5 feet wide.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5