Old 11-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Brock Bailey

Default Questions on veg / peach tree and need plans for above ground planting boxs (large)

I was woundering whictch veg would be better to grow in the winter and I
live in the pacific northwest on vancouver island where we get alot of mixed
weather durning winter...any good website you can advise me of or books?

I'am also interseted in planting a peach tree and some other garden plants
to but I'am also intrested in getting plans for an above ground planter box
which are very large and can build out of wood for my patio..

thanks for your suggestions or help..

Brock R Bailey
110-1009 Mckenzie Ave
Victoria BC Canada
V8X 4B1

Old 12-08-2003, 08:02 AM
J. Lane

Hi Brock,
Living in the same province, I cannot think of any veggies offhand that
survive freezing, which does happen in Victoria. Re the peach tree: I'm not
sure about that. You may not get enough sun and heat for good fruit. Check
with the fruit growers in your area, eg: Saanich to see if they have
success.
Hope this helps.
--
Jayel
. ca...

Old 12-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Chris Owens

Default Questions on veg / peach tree and need plans for above ground

If I recall correctly, Vancouver Island gets snow almost every
winter, but the ground generally doesn't freeze? If that's
correct, and you can achieve good drainage, you might want to
look to a winter crop of cruciforms [cabbage, broccoli,
cauliflower, etc.] or cold-hardy root vegetables such as radishes
or carrots. You do need to realize that this is very iffy,
though. In Bellingham, it used to get cold enough about one
winter in five that we lost the winter veggies. Your best bet
for the kind of information you need is a local gardening club,
or your local agricultural office.

Chris Owens

Old 12-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Mage

"J. Lane" wrote in message
. ca...
Hi Brock,
Living in the same province, I cannot think of any veggies offhand that
survive freezing, which does happen in Victoria. Re the peach tree: I'm

not
sure about that. You may not get enough sun and heat for good fruit. Check
with the fruit growers in your area, eg: Saanich to see if they have
success.
Hope this helps.

Almost any fruit tree will grow in Victoria - my parents have about 5 of
them in their backyard and they produce great fruit eacha dn every year