Old 22-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Registered User

Location: West Midlands, ENGLAND
Default Bamboo growth

P. aurea going well (in the U.K.).
Can anyone tell me if the canes get thicker with age or are the new canes the size they are as they emerge and grow, for life ?
TIA
__________________
Here for a good time,
not a long one
Old 23-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Beecrofter

Scoby wrote in message ws.com...
P. aurea going well (in the U.K.).
Can anyone tell me if the canes get thicker with age or are the new
canes the size they are as they emerge and grow, for life ?
TIA

What you see is what you get, once the canes are up that is as thick
as they are going to be. Next years canes might be larger coming out
of the ground if the bamboo did well or smaller if it was starved or
stressed.
What will happen over the next couple of years is that the canes will
become more woody and strong up to about the 5 yr point and then get
old and die of at the 7 or 8 yr point.
Old 23-08-2003, 05:11 PM
Registered User

Location: West Midlands, ENGLAND
Talking

Ah well, I'll cancel me raft building project then, stay stuck on this island !!
Here for a good time,
not a long one