Old 22-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Azar

Default Clumping bamboo recommendation Zone 7 , Oklahoma City

Hi,

I want to plant a hedge of bamboo along my fence on the east and north
side of the property. We have clay soil and full sun exposure. Any
recommendations for a clumping bamboo that will not be more than 2
feet wide and around 13 to 15 ft high.

thanks in advance
Old 23-03-2004, 01:18 PM
Bert

Where are you located? Your climate will determine if you can grow clumpers.

There is no clumper that will stay 2 feet in diameter over the years it will
increase in diameter. I have seen multiplex that have exceeded 30 feet in
diameter.

om...

Old 23-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Bert

Azar,

I just notice the Zone 7 in your subject.

You are too cold for most. Look at the fargesias. We can't grow them in our
zone 7 location as we are too hot and humid. The b. multiplex that we grow
in the ground get 100% top kill each year. They are rated for 12 degrees but
extensive damage starts at 25 or lower.

Bert

Old 24-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Starlord

I've got a bamboo that I guess might be called a clumping one, it's
slow to expand, had a very massive rhizome, and lives in full sun in
the High Mojave Desert zone 8 and doesn't mind the 90 to 100F summer
temps.

--
Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
(Azar) wrote in message

. com...
Hi,

I want to plant a hedge of bamboo along my fence on the east and

north
side of the property. We have clay soil and full sun exposure. Any
recommendations for a clumping bamboo that will not be more than 2
feet wide and around 13 to 15 ft high.

thanks in advance

All of the clumpers I konw would perish in full sun.
They are from cool mountains.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 31-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Starlord

I give it water about once a week, as it's in thesame area where I
have some gray iceplant and a canna growing. No it's not that grass,
I've had it 4 years now and there's no seed head, or flowers of
anykind. As for
species all I know it's bamboo and it's rhizome gets to be big, I had
to move it fome one area where my garden used to be, to the area it's
at now two years ago and the rhizome was massive, I had 2 sections and
after growing for a full year in one spot each one was at lest 10 to
15lbs. It had grown outward but slowly, after two years in it's spot
it's just getting out of the little area I marked for it, so this fall
I'll be digging up and cutting it to move some to other areas. It's
growing fast right now, got at lest 20 shoots and they're almost 2 ft
high already. I've seen it around the valley area, growing at old
sites and no one caring for it.

--
Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

" wrote in message
how much waer does it need?

do you know its species?