Old 27-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Mary's book

I'm sitting here at my desk after just finishing my second
re-read (that's 3 readings, if you can't count :-) ) of
long-time IBCer, Marry Miller's new book "Bonsai With
Tropicals -- Some Things I learned Along the Way."

"What," you exclaim, "ANOTHER bonsai how-to book? How many
do we need of these?"

Not to worry. THIS book is for folks who have the Sunset
book memorized (and Mary started with Sunset, too!), who
have all of Herb's books, and who have a few good or
moderately-well-done bonsai on their tables already. It is
filled with little tips and tricks that make doing bonsai
easier and more fun . . . and your trees better.

AND, its a very nice read, too.

The TOC:

Lessons in Learning and Teaching
Technique
Odds and Ends
My Haiku Attempt
Personal Thoughts
Wire
Growing Aspects
Light
Species notes
Cold and Colder Weather
Problems and Pests
Tools
Bonsai Stories
Conclusion

There you have a life of bonsai summed up in a brief column.
While "Bonsai With Tropicals" may be one of the more
unorthodox books on the subject around, it also is extremely
informative -- even if, like me, you have few tropicals.

Lots of fun. (And there may be another on the way!)

Order from Mary C. Miller, PO Box 924483, Princeton FL
33092-4483. $16.95 USD

More info:

Enjoy . . .

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-07-2005, 04:30 PM
dalecochoy

I was VERY suprised that Mary wasn't at the BSF convention in Cape Canaveral
on the 4th. I was SURE she'd be there signing/selling her new book, in fact
I had orders for a couple signed ones from friends. There was a table
sitting there with a pile of flyers and that was it. It was orderable, but I
wanted personnally signed ones. I thought she missed a major sales attempt.
But, perhaps she didn't have them "in hand" by then yet. I asked a couple
people but no one knew nothing! at least no one there I asked "where's Mary,
is she coming?"
Dale

Old 27-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Alan Walker

She didn't make it to the WBC5 in DC either, but I
managed to snag a signed copy through the raffle! ;-)
It seems that lately bonsai authors are a little reticent
about book signings. I'm not sure what's up with that.
Alan Walker

I was VERY suprised that Mary wasn't at the BSF convention in
Cape Canaveral on the 4th. I was SURE she'd be there
signing/selling her new book, in fact I had orders for a couple
signed ones from friends. There was a table sitting there with a
pile of flyers and that was it. It was orderable, but I wanted
personally signed ones. I thought she missed a major sales

Old 27-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Alejandro Bedini

Maybe the authors thinks some people asking about a signed book to sale (more)on
Ebay and not for personal use.
Alejandro Bedini

She didn't make it to the WBC5 in DC either, but I
managed to snag a signed copy through the raffle! ;-)
It seems that lately bonsai authors are a little reticent
about book signings. I'm not sure what's up with that.
Alan Walker

Este email fue enviado desde la UTFSM: https://mail.usm.cl/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Alan Walker

Except why would they care? It would still result in greater
sales through a free distribution network.

Alan Walker

Old 27-07-2005, 05:01 PM
dalecochoy

She didn't make it to the WBC5 in DC either, but I
managed to snag a signed copy through the raffle! ;-)

I didn't see that ( amonst the 2,000 other raffle items :) !! )
So, I guess it was printed then, that was before the BSF.

It seems that lately bonsai authors are a little reticent
about book signings.

Alan Walker

Really?

Old 27-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Bart Thomas

I purchased my copy at the WBC from "the other Mary" (Madison), who was
selling them (unsigned) at her booth.

It is a delightful read, and I would consider it an important book for those
of us who grow tropicals.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++