Old 31-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Registered User

Default Help for a Newbie

Hi All

After extensive research (reading books, online, reading this forum etc) I purchased an indoor bonsai yesterday (from Bonsai House in Bluewater) - Serissa Foetida. I know these are notoriously difficult to look after but with the following attractions decided this would be the right choice for me:

1 - Root over rock roots
2 - Flowering

Upon closer inspection I notice that:

1 - The root ball is not secured to the base - I am unsure whether this should be done or not, I would have thought that the exposed roots being a feature of this bonsai that securing it to the base would NOT be favourable.

2 - The pot does not appear to have been prepared conventionally - by that I mean there is not a layer of pea shingle at the bottom neither is there a plastic mesh over the drainage hole - I know root rot is potentially a problem with the Serissa so have the above been ommitted to increase water flow??

Has my bonsai been prepared incorrectly????

I also have some questions to ask:

1 - WATERING - is soaking the rootball best or conevntionally watering?
2 - do I water when the top soil is just dry?

Any other advice from successful owners is very much appreciated - I have done all the online research possible but there is nothing like speaking to an "expert".

Thanksfor your help all!