Old 05-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Tiziano

Default air layering

I started mid june an air layring on a 3 mm thick branch
of the year .. a deshojo red maple.. that I left growing
for about 12- 15 " free previously

Yesterday after 6 weeks it had already well rooted so I
could cut and put into a pot without taking away the moss
root ball..

Roots can be easily seen trought the transparent pouch as
white and 1-2 mm thick so it can be is easily monitored
when to be cut

I cut the branch and sectioned the plastic with a sharp
cutter

I made a second air layering today same maple ..
I use a 3 " long ziplock bag
cut the bottom
skin bare the part of the wood thet has to make roots
apply hormons, cover around with dry moss and glide
the cylinder of plastic on dry moss like a socket

I fix it at the back side with a paper clipper with fold
& stitches on plastic one or two will do, the front just 1
stitch and leave a small entrance like a beak a green pea
size .. for watering I spry from the hole after all is ended
to damp the dry moss with a syringe or a spryer ; I survey
every other day ..

To water: the moss will be damp everywhere after few
minutes, all operation took no more than 20 minutes no
problem whatsoever it is quick done

the size of the whole pouch does not exceed a thick toe
size and 3" lenght

the very best season and the shortest results are
obtained from may to sept ..
the first air layering was extremely quick almost 6
weeks this one, as done in mid summer , I will see
Cheers
Tiziano

[IBC] air layering Jim Lewis Bonsai 8 25-04-2004 11:18 PM
[IBC] Air layering Oak Trees George Bizas Bonsai 6 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
air layering XdjipsterX Bonsai 0 17-03-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] Air Layering a shimpaku Neal Ross Bonsai 3 15-03-2003 02:20 AM
[IBC] air layering for new nebari Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 25-01-2003 02:13 PM