Old 13-03-2003, 12:56 PM
David Quisenberry

Default [IBC] sifting soil components

"John - NJ" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I can purchase these various bonsai soil
components in the New York metro area? New Jersey, New York, Eastern
PA, CT.

Thanks, John-NJ

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:07:06 -0500, Jim Lewis
wrote:

Oil Dri is made by the makers of Turface. I think its grain size
is a bit smaller than Turface, and it may not have been fired at
as high a temperature. I have never used it, but have been told
that its consistency may not be as reliable as Turface and it
may, at times, be mushy when constantly wetted.

It is, however, better than kitty litter.

There are other options: Terra-Green, Mule Mix, Schultz's Clay
Soil Conditioner (smaller particles, small package size and more
costly per pound), or even Haydite (which is fired shale).

All have web sites (see the FAQ article I sent you yesterday ;-)

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Iris Cohen

Default soil components

You have to talk their language -- "field conditioner" -- not "bonsai soil".

The label on Schultz Soil Conditioner specifically says it is for bonsai.

The problem I have is finding suitable material for the non-organic,
non-water absorbing, component -- "course sand". In my area, I can easily find
particle sizes that are under 1/16" inch (too small), or over 1/4" (too big).
No one seems to have anything in the 1/8" to 3/16" range.

Depending on where you live, chicken grit is perfect. Just make sure you are
getting crushed granite, not crushed limestone. For regular mix, ask for the
starter grit. For conifer mix, I use grower grit or turkey grit.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)